Profile Picture

Feedback on Top Street Performance Distributors (TSP) - Anyone running these units?

Posted By Daniel Jessup 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Feedback on Top Street Performance Distributors (TSP) - Anyone running...

Author
Question Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
I am curious to know if anyone is running these distributors and what feedback you may have...

https://www.topstreetperformance.com/products/ignition/distributors/pro-series-ready-to-run-distributor-ford-y-block-tach-drive.html

I am not very sure how long they have been available, but they "look" like decent parts to run on your Y Block - especially if you like all the features of adjustability. Over the past year in various parts swaps two brand new units have come my way. I am considering running one on an engine run stand in 2024 at the Carlisle All Ford show, but do wonder how they perform on the street.

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

Ted
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
I have installed several of these now and they have been good so far.  The ignition curve is adjustable similar to the MSD distributors which makes overall tuning easier.  A plus side to the CRT/TSP distributors is that they do come with an adjustable vacuum advance can which the MSD distributors do not.  All the TSP/CRT distributors I have used have been the Thunderbird specific models with the mechanical tach drive option.  As MSD does not make a tach drive distributor for the Y, both the CRT and TSP distributors have been a good option for the Thunderbird engines.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Daniel Jessup
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Thanks Ted, I may give this TSP distributor a crack in my 55 Ford just for kicks once we get past the holidays here. One of the distributors I have uses a cap that receives original spark plug wires, the other has your standard HEI style male ends on the cap. 

On another note - my daughter and son-in-law are moving to Houston... we are helping them load the moving truck tomorrow so they can pull out on Monday. From what I can tell they will be a little less than 3 hours away from you. I will have to pay you a visit when I come down to see them.

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

Joe-JDC
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

I have the TSP in my '55 Thunderbird that has the 345 Y build featured in Y Block Magazine.  It has been flawless so far.  We made about 16 dyno pulls, installed it into the Thunderbird like I took it off the dyno, and have driven it on the street with 5 speed in spirited driving.  Took it out on the freeway, kept up with the traffic without an issue.  So far, so good.  It starts immediately, and the tachometer has worked without an issue except for needing another 1500 rpm range.  LOL.  Joe-JDChttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9e548c16-aaac-4ace-8cec-b18f.jpg

JDC
miker
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Joe, this is an old Stewart Warner mechanical tach, 3 3/8”. Bezel removed, edge of can ground off, slips right into the bezel. Ignore the notches ground out, that was for another project.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
55blacktie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Any harm done to OEM 5000 rpm tach when exceeding 5000?
bird55
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
The original OEM tach will continue to go around to the zero peg. I honestly don't know what kind of accuracy one gets with it at that level though. I have mine marked in further increments just in case. Altho my car is primarily for the street and its not that much of an issue.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d8028aa4-f8f9-4981-9e51-4428.jpg
       A  L  A  N   F  R  A  K  E  S   ~  Tulsa, OK    

55blacktie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Thanks, Bird. My C4 transmission has a secondary governor valve that allows WOT upshifts at 5600. I'll use a Pertronix 6000 "soft" rev limiter set at 5700. there's probably no need to use an electronic tach. As you know, the CRT distributor will accommodate both mechanical and electric tachs. 
bird55
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
you get an added bonus of my left turn blinker too!

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d8028aa4-f8f9-4981-9e51-4428.jpg
       A  L  A  N   F  R  A  K  E  S   ~  Tulsa, OK    

55blacktie
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Sounds good, smoooth! How much valve lash?

Reading This Topic

Site Meter