Profile Picture

Oil leak?

Posted By dodg66440 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (44 reputation)Normally aspirated (44 reputation)Normally aspirated (44 reputation)Normally aspirated (44 reputation)Normally aspirated (44 reputation)Normally aspirated (44 reputation)Normally aspirated (44 reputation)Normally aspirated (44 reputation)Normally aspirated (44 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I drove my 56 for the first time last week. It has a 292 that I pulled and installed new gaskets when I cleaned up engine bay. I took a 10 mile ride and came back to the garage and everything looked fine. No leaks. I needed better access to the passenger side so I backed the car out and turned it around and backed it in. The next day there was a puddle of oil under it. The only place I can see oil is from the tube going into the oil pump. Does it make sense that oil would accumulate there and leak out overnight? It was a sizable puddle. Thanks for any input.
Ted
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Assuming the oil leak is indeed coming from the oil pickup tube, then check that the nut on the side of the oil pan holding the oil tube is tight.  When putting that tube in place, did you put the gasket on the tube prior to installing it back into the pan?  The gasket for that location is typically on the inside of the pan and not on the outside.  I have always installed that gasket on the inside so I do not know if it will leak if installed on the outside.

The rubber gasket going into the oil pump when not sealed properly usually has the effect of lowering the oil pressure or losing the oil pressure all together.  Just make sure it is snugged tight anyhow.

It’s still possible for the oil leak to be coming from above that tube with the oil filter area being a strong candidate.  You don’t mention if the engine still has the original cartridge oil filter or has been upgraded to a spin on oil filter.  There are different scenarios with each of those.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

2721955meteor
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
I have had simler leaks,myn are from the oil pump gasket between the gerotert oil pump and  the block. these pumps are alum. and warp and dribble..the other aria was the oil pan gasket at rears it gets thiner  at curv around the pump.. my cure is a thicker gasket and a water cut plate that cured oil pan leak. that kit is 100 us including frt. sold 9 kits   have 2 left 
and will keep 1 future. .I just purchased a new cast  iron  oil pump that .will eliminate  the alum gerotr pump, which is a great  pump ,but hard to stop the drips lots of rear seal leaks  are the oil pump  or pan gasket. good luck.  like a Harley ys leave ther mark aswell

Reading This Topic

Site Meter