Profile Picture

What PCV valve to use

Posted By seishank65 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
What PCV valve should I use if doing the install that oldcarmark mentioned on a post.

quote]oldcarmark (11/10/2022)
I used the Moroso Baffled Grommet on mine. 4 Years works fine. No excessive Oil usage. You can use that with the existing Valley Cover. Just use a Hole Saw to cut proper size Hole. I used the correct Grommet that fits PCV and Super Glued it inside the Moroso Grommet.[/quote]
charliemccraney
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
You can get baffled grommets that fit the PCV valve without the need to superglue another in.  They are available at Summit Racing and others, I am sure.  I got one for my PCV install.  I'll try to remember to look up the part number.  If you go to Summit and look for baffled grommets, I think 3/4" id and 1 1/4" od, there should be options.
I'm using the Mewagner adjustable PCV valve.  It's expensive but possibly the only way to get one that will be correct for your particular engine.  Anything else is an educated guess, at best.  http://mewagner.com/?p=444

Lawrenceville, GA
DANIEL TINDER
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
That company’s tech data site makes interesting reading (I’ve always found PCV science a bit inscrutable).  Specifically, the tests re: oil baffles/consumption makes me wonder if some alteration of the T-Bird valley pan baffle could have been beneficial when I had if off (?). It’s box shape may cause pooling/velocity that increases consumption.

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
DryLakesRacer
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
By looking at original drawings the last Y-blocks used the Thunderbird style box just a connection point for a hose and not the valve itself.. The PVC valve was in the hose line to the intake on the trucks;  I’m assuming Ford engineers felt that would be sufficient. 
My first PVC valve was a replacement for a 62 Ford Mercury which threaded to a fitting by the base of a carb with a hose from box. I have recently installed a M E Wagner which is located on the firewall using the same hose points. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
seishank65
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Thanks everyone for your input.  Although the ME Wagner PCV valve is a great option I'm afraid that this is out of my budget.  Trying to get the oil and gas smell out of the cab and hopefully reduce some of the oil leaks.
DANIEL TINDER
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
DryLakesRacer (11/18/2022)
By looking at original drawings the last Y-blocks used the Thunderbird style box just a connection point for a hose and not the valve itself.. The PVC valve was in the hose line to the intake on the trucks;  I’m assuming Ford engineers felt that would be sufficient. 
My first PVC valve was a replacement for a 62 Ford Mercury which threaded to a fitting by the base of a carb with a hose from box. I have recently installed a M E Wagner which is located on the firewall using the same hose points. 

Technically, the Wagner valve would likely have to be installed ‘inline’ on a T-Bird according to the valve’s minimum clearance specs., as a standard valve barely clears the stock baffle/nut assembly, though some jerry-rigged combination grommet configuration might well be improvised (?).

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
DryLakesRacer
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Daniel….. I believe Ted recommends putting in a machine screw in the threads in the box since it lines up with the bottom of the PCV valve when using that style installation. I think he was concerned it could suck in mor oil. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
paul2748
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

On various items I have read about PVC valves, the one to get would be for a similar sized engine.  Thus, either a 292 or a 312 would use one from a 302 Ford.  I don't know if this still holds up.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Florida_Phil
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Casco sells a complete PCV kit for Tbirds. It comes with the valve, grommet, hose and carburetor base plate to connect the hose. The grommet fits in the hole in the valley pan where the road draft tube screws down. The PCV valve pushes into the grommet and the hose connects to the plate.  It works great on my car.  I had to remove the valley pan and drill out the threaded grommet for the down draft tube screw as it was blocking the hole in the bottom of the PCV valve.  The PCV valve they use looks like one from a small block Ford valve cover.   My PCV does not leak oil into the intake. Installation of this kit reduced oil leaks and smells from the engine.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/cb73a320-8812-4aa5-a66b-f7da.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Ted
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
DryLakesRacer (11/18/2022)
Daniel ….. I believe Ted recommends putting in a machine screw in the threads in the box since it lines up with the bottom of the PCV valve when using that style installation. I think he was concerned it could suck in more oil.

When converting the rear hole at the back of the 1955-1957 T-Bird valley covers or the 1958-1964 car/truck valley covers for a PCV valve, I will remove that threaded extension that’s in the center of the hole.  The remaining hole in the baffle is directly under where the PCV valve and for that I install a ¼-20 bolt and nut in that hole so that there is not a direct path for the oil to get to the PCV valve.  For the PCV valve I use a Dorman #42323 grommet and a Microgard #2322 PCV valve.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter