Profile Picture

Engine coming from shop. What next?

Posted By B-rad 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
My 317 y is almost done at the shop. It was bored out .040 over due to the cylinder condition. The mechanic is installing the new pistons and rings, new rod bearings, new main bearings and new cam bearings. He said the crank and cam are in good condition. He also said that the heads are fine as is. I'm trying to decide if I should have him put the heads on or if it's easy enough for me to do.
Once the engine gets home, I have all the rest of the parts to install. Don't know if there is an order to put the engine back together.
I know some of y'all have been in my shoes and I'd like some advice so I don't run into more problems than I probably will anyway.
I also would like to hear from yous guys about how to find out if the other components are in working order or not. Talking about the ac compressor, oil pump, fuel pump, power steering pump, water pump, etc
Napa says they can test some of them but the age might keep them from being able to.
Thanks all y'all for the help, again.

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
Florida_Phil
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Assuming your short block is properly assembled with all clearances checked, installing the heads is fairly straight forward.  If you do not have experience with this, I suggest you find a shop manual and possibly someone to assists you that does. As you probably know, you will need a torque wrench. There are various opinions on Y-Block head gaskets,  Personally, I have always used Fel-Pro blue gaskets and have never had one fail or leak. Whatever gaskets you use, make sure you install them in the right direction.  In my opinion, the most important thing to check is oil flow to the rockers. If the rocker assemblies have been disassembled, make sure they are put back together and installed correctly. If you do this wrong, oil will not flow to the rockers. Once the oil pan is installed, you can check this on the engine stand with a drill or speed wrench on the oil pump drive rod. Installing the head gaskets backward and oil flow issues are the two big "gotchas" with Y-Blocks. I assume your mechanic is installing the cam, gears and chain?  If so, make sure he knows how to properly align the timing marks.  Y-Blocks are not scrubys. Others on this forum will have more to say.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Ted
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 6 days ago
You don’t mention specifically if the shop doing the short block assembly installed the camshaft or not.  Due to the mushroom tappet design of the lifters, the lifters and camshaft are installed before putting the crankshaft in the block.  This will give the opportunity to correct any cam bearing issues if the camshaft does not turn freely.  If the camshaft has been installed for you, then it would be time well spent to make sure it is degreed in and not just installed with 12 pins between the marks.

As Phil mentions, if you have not performed any engine work in the past, then get someone to look over your shoulder and guide you as you assemble the rest of the engine.

<edit> I misread the 317 and made it a 312.  Disregard the part about the lifters and the need to install them before assembling the short block.  Ted.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 1 hour ago
Phil and Ted:

B-rad is building a 317 Lincoln engine, not a Ford Y-Block.  Some of your comments don't apply in this case.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
Ted
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 6 days ago
John.
Thanks for catching that.  I saw 317 and just made a 312 out of it.  The part I posted about degreeing in the camshaft and it turning free is still applicable but disregard the stuff about the FYB lifters and the need to install the cam and lifters before assembling the short block.  The LYB engines are a different animal in that regard.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

B-rad
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)

Does anyone have any ideas about finding out if my pumps or compressor work? I've been told that those components from that era are pretty reliable. But after sitting for 57 years, I have no idea what may go wrong with them. And I don't know if rebuild kits are available. . I also don't know how to check the power brake master.

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
55blacktie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

"Utility truck?" Use the Best gaskets, run 87 unleaded, and don't worry about the compression ratio. Considering your build, I would be more concerned with sealing those heads.
B-rad
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Not sure I understand, blacktie

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
napaunderground
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (165 reputation)Supercharged (165 reputation)Supercharged (165 reputation)Supercharged (165 reputation)Supercharged (165 reputation)Supercharged (165 reputation)Supercharged (165 reputation)Supercharged (165 reputation)Supercharged (165 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
methinks BlackTie was talking to me... I have a lot of questions open at the moment around here. Smile

AND

I very much appreciate the input from everyone.
55blacktie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Sorry! This should have been posted to "MLS Vs Composition Head Gaskets."

Reading This Topic

Site Meter