Profile Picture

Dimmer switch question

Posted By Tazx100 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (209 reputation)Supercharged (209 reputation)Supercharged (209 reputation)Supercharged (209 reputation)Supercharged (209 reputation)Supercharged (209 reputation)Supercharged (209 reputation)Supercharged (209 reputation)Supercharged (209 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 10 hours ago
I have a 55 fairane town sedan. I took the car out last night for the first time for me, and found that when the high beam light is on the dash the headlights are actually on low beam and when the red light on the dash is out they are on high beam. I havent done any thing to electrical system since ive had the car but the car has been switched to neg ground before I got it. DOnt know if this has anything to do with the headlights. Anyone got any advice I hate looking at the red light going down the road.
paul2748
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
The wire going to the high beam indicator light is on the wrong terminal of the floor mounted high beam switch.  If I remember correctly, the floor switch should have three wires - two for the headlights and one for the indicator light.  Just switch the indicator light wire to the other terminal.    One of the terminals going to the headlights also has the indicator light wire going to it.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 7 hours ago
If the car still has  the original terminal block on the left inner fender panel, find the two wires coming from the firewall to the block that are for the high and low beams, and switch them at the block.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
Tazx100
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (209 reputation)Supercharged (209 reputation)Supercharged (209 reputation)Supercharged (209 reputation)Supercharged (209 reputation)Supercharged (209 reputation)Supercharged (209 reputation)Supercharged (209 reputation)Supercharged (209 reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/fa566466-a7b1-44d7-a88b-0583.jpgI looked at the dimmer switch and it still has the factory cover intact so I dont think that has been changed, I am pretty sure this is the terminal block you talked about and there has been a repair are the red and green wires the one you recommend to be switched? I have learned to be very cautious messing with wiring on old cars and This has brought me back to the issue of the car having the ground changed to negative. I dont want to mess with the ground on this car till I understand more. Guess i am going to get a wiring diagram and make my head hurt more lol
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 7 hours ago
If you have a test light or meter, turn on your headlights and see which wire (top set of wires in your picture) has power.  Then press the dimmer switch and see which of the other wires has power.  Swap those two wires.  If you don't have test equipment, turn on the headlights and unplug and re-plug   each of the wires to see which one kills the headlights.  Press the dimmer switch and unplug and re-plug the remaining wires until the headlights go out again.  You now know which two wires to swap.  I don't know the color codes or have a '55 to look at.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
paul2748
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
Isn't it easier to just swap the wire going to the indicator light? Assuming there is one.

Hoosier Hurricane (11/5/2022)
If you have a test light or meter, turn on your headlights and see which wire (top set of wires in your picture) has power.  Then press the dimmer switch and see which of the other wires has power.  Swap those two wires.  If you don't have test equipment, turn on the headlights and unplug and re-plug   each of the wires to see which one kills the headlights.  Press the dimmer switch and unplug and re-plug the remaining wires until the headlights go out again.  You now know which two wires to swap.  I don't know the color codes or have a '55 to look at.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

FORD DEARBORN
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Try swapping the "repaired" red and green wires, the ones with the crimped terminals attached.  Usually the green is for the hi beams and red for the low beams.  I believe the indicator light comes off the dimmer switch. 

64F100 57FAIRLANE500

Reading This Topic

Site Meter