Profile Picture

Voltage Regulator schematic. '56 12 volt

Posted By Jack Groat 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 Months Ago
I think my voltage regulator is hooked up incorrectly.  Not charging even though gen and voltage regulator have been rebuilt.  I bought a complete schematic off the internet but have discovered errors and I don't trust it.  Searching the internet has been confusing.  
Anybody have a image or just explain it in text.  Should not be that hard.

Thanks
DryLakesRacer
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.2K reputation)Supercharged (4.2K reputation)Supercharged (4.2K reputation)Supercharged (4.2K reputation)Supercharged (4.2K reputation)Supercharged (4.2K reputation)Supercharged (4.2K reputation)Supercharged (4.2K reputation)Supercharged (4.2K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Was it the schematic from Classiccarwiring.com ?  I used their generator/regulator wiring a few times before going to an alternator and it was exactly the same color wire as my car. I was able to use the generator light for the alternator by the color coding and Powermaster instructions. Every color on their schematic has been identical to my stock Ford wiring. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Jack Groat
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Months Ago
Yes it is classiccar wiring.  The reason I say we found errors is that the horn would not blow.  I was about to order a new horn relay when I decided to do a continuity test of the relay.  I decided the relay was wired wrong (per the classic car diagram).  I rewired it and now the horn works fine. 
paul2748
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)

Based on my TBird wiring (which should be the same as a sedan

B  = Two yellow (both from the main harness, may be two combined into one terminal)
F = Black with white tracer (or white end) From generator
A = Two yellow with black tracer (or black end) One from generator, the other from the main harness

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

blocky
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (311 reputation)Supercharged (311 reputation)Supercharged (311 reputation)Supercharged (311 reputation)Supercharged (311 reputation)Supercharged (311 reputation)Supercharged (311 reputation)Supercharged (311 reputation)Supercharged (311 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Months Ago
i presume you are running a generator? if so sometimes after a rebuild you need to re polarize the generator
Saltshaker
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (44 reputation)Normally aspirated (44 reputation)Normally aspirated (44 reputation)Normally aspirated (44 reputation)Normally aspirated (44 reputation)Normally aspirated (44 reputation)Normally aspirated (44 reputation)Normally aspirated (44 reputation)Normally aspirated (44 reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/cf4684be-ea27-408a-a3a9-55b9.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9f8667e7-c261-4b65-8410-dbba.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/95003b73-dde3-4019-891a-5e43.jpg

I've attached the generator/regulator wiring diagram and schematic from the 1956 Ford Workshop Manual along with the colored diagram from ClassicsWiring.  As Paul mentioned above, they both show two yellow wires, one from the regulator B terminal to the horn relay, and one to the dash and then on to the battery.  A black wire with a white tracer runs from the regulator F terminal to the field terminal on the generator.  Two yellow wires with black tracers run from the A terminal on the regulator.  One goes to the generator light on the dash and the other goes to the armature terminal on the generator. 
I've used the ClassicWiring diagram to sort out wiring problems on my 56 and I was impressed with all the circuits in it that weren't even shown in the WSM, however I did find one minor glitch in the CW drawing.  I couldn't find a symbol for a yellow wire with a black tracer.  I'll email them and see if I missed it, or they did. 
Jack, I also added the horn relay wiring from the WSM and the CW already has it.  They match so I'm not sure what caused your horn problem, but those types of things become easier to solve with the internal circuits shown on the CW diagram. 
Don
montana ford man
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (323 reputation)Supercharged (323 reputation)Supercharged (323 reputation)Supercharged (323 reputation)Supercharged (323 reputation)Supercharged (323 reputation)Supercharged (323 reputation)Supercharged (323 reputation)Supercharged (323 reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
i think blocky is right you need to polorize the generator  as i recall you need to start the car and then use a small piece of wire touch the field wire to the armature wire    it was a common practise back in the day
montana ford man
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (323 reputation)Supercharged (323 reputation)Supercharged (323 reputation)Supercharged (323 reputation)Supercharged (323 reputation)Supercharged (323 reputation)Supercharged (323 reputation)Supercharged (323 reputation)Supercharged (323 reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
if it doesnt charge you need to polorize the generator
blocky
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (311 reputation)Supercharged (311 reputation)Supercharged (311 reputation)Supercharged (311 reputation)Supercharged (311 reputation)Supercharged (311 reputation)Supercharged (311 reputation)Supercharged (311 reputation)Supercharged (311 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Months Ago
cheers
paul2748
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)

Not the correct way as far as I know.  You touch the field wire to the battery terminal.  Just a touch - spark ok

montana ford man (9/24/2022)
i think blocky is right you need to polorize the generator  as i recall you need to start the car and then use a small piece of wire touch the field wire to the armature wire    it was a common practise back in the day

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter