Profile Picture

License Plate Frame for my Crown Victoria

Posted By Jack Groat 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
OK, it's restored, it's on the road, I have my historic license plates.  Now, I need a really good and proper license plate frame.  So far the best I have found is one says "Crown Victoria" and another that says "Let's go Brandon".

I think I should do better than that??
miker
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
Is it a standard size (called Federal, I think) or an odd size like WA was till 56 or 7?

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
miker
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Deleted

miker
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Deyomatic
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
The problem with the latter is that you don't want someone getting offended and keying your 'Vic.  I would run with the Crown Victoria one (maybe post a pic) until you find something you really like.  

I had an In N Out burger license plate frame for my Model A but decided it just wouldn't have worked.  
Jack Groat
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)

I believe the license plate size on the '56 is the same size as today.
paul2748
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/5f177df2-5c4c-4d16-9155-89e1.jpgI
I would suggest looking at ebay.  They must have all sorts of license plate frames (I admit, I haven't looked) and you may find one you like.

For my 54, I bought just a plain frame that goes around the plate, maybe about 3/8". I prefer plain things, like to show  the car, not crazy about add on stuff.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Jack Groat
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I like the Y-Blk plate.  However I already have the plate with just a random number assigned.  I don't know in this state if they have vanity plates for historic vehicles.  

I have looked at Ebay until my my eyes go blurry.  Thousands to chose from.
dbird
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
A quick Google search shows a number of places offering custom frames for reasonable prices.   The toughest part is coming up with something worthwhile while still not offending anyone to th point they damage your car.  FWIW, the frames on my SLK say "because my friends all drive Porsches" which gets favorable comments.  
Good luck,
Don
miker
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Try this guy. Go down to License Plates and click, then down to the listing of plain metal plates. I’ve bought a handful of stuff from him, it all been ok. Some of the odd stuff is worth browsing just for a laugh.

http://www.taillightking.com/

miker
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
cokefirst
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
A little history on License plate sizes.  Many states, California included have used different size license plates over the years.  The automobile manufacturer's wanted a standard size so they could make the bumper or body openings standard to fit one size plate.  In 1956 the US standardized the plate size used in any state or territory and that size is the one we use today.  It also makes it nice for the folks that make license plate frames not to have to make them in multiple sizes.  

Reading This Topic

Site Meter