Profile Picture

radius on rod and main journals

Posted By cos 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 hours ago
Hello members  Trying to find a local crank grinder to do a offset grind (312 crank) on rods (2") and a 312 to 292 size on mains.  What radius is best. I have been told grinders have to dress wheels for this radius and they don't like to because it wears wheels out quicker.  Rods are Molnar with  GM cr811si bearings.  Any advice?   Bill Oregon
DryLakesRacer
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Since I do not know your location you may call Marine Crankshafts in Santa Ana California and ask them; tell them your plans for the crankshaft. It may be proprietary but I doubt that if they know your location.  I have used them for my racing GMC’s. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
cos
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)

Hi live in Oregon. Put nose to ground and found two local crank grinders.  Prices at one 150hr probably 3 to 4 hours and could not do seal journal. Other could turn seal journal down. Thats where  I will take it to. Said only part of journal he could radius is where material is removed.  Bill  Oregon
Ted
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Any crankshaft grinder worth using will ensure that the stones being used to machine the crankshaft journals will be properly dressed so that any existing journal radius, fillet, or undercut is retained.  1/16” is the normal radius amount for journal fillets.  It’s not uncommon for that number to be larger on aftermarket crankshafts.  Here’s a link to a past thread on the subject.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost81029.aspx

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

cos
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks Ted  Read all posts. Tons of info on forum here. Bill   Oregon

Reading This Topic

Site Meter