Profile Picture

54 Lincoln dual exhaust

Posted By B-rad 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 hours ago
I am rebuilding a 317 LYB and would like to put dual exhaust on it. I was wondering if anyone has tried to alter the crossover pipe and turn it after the passenger side manifold. Block the intake side of the passenger manifold and run the exhaust out to the back of the car along side the passenger side exhaust? It seems to be a fairly easy way to get the driver's side exhaust out of the engine compartment. I understand that using a ram head manifold sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Clearance issues. Just putting it out there since I do have some time before the engine comes back from the shop.

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Using ram's horn manifolds on Ford Y-blocks in passenger cars is prohibited due to the engine mounts being at the mid point side of the engine block. Not sure when the Linoln car did away with the under hood crossover pipe - 1956 or 1955??  The 57 Mercury Turn Pike Cruiser did not have the crossover pipe on the 368 Lincoln engine. If you can find a pair of these manifolds and other chassis items are not in the way, such as the steering box, you may be able to make it work. Otherwise the Gabriel's horn method attached to the front of the left manifold may be your only option short of custom fabricated headers. Hope this helps - good luck.

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
Deyomatic
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Can you post some pictures?  Does it look like what Ford did with the trucks that had Y blocks?
B-rad
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)

I don't know what the Gabriel's horn method is. I heard I could eliminate the crossover pipe and curve the pipe down in the front of the engine bay then back. I know there's a lot of room on the passenger side so that's why I was thinking of crossing the pipe between the passenger side manifold and the inner fender then running it back from there. I'll see if I have a picture of the engine from before I pulled it.

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
miker
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
I don’t have clue what’s going to work on the Lincoln. But those front crossovers can be reused by routing the drivers side any way you can. Down and back. Down, across, and back parallel to the pass side. I suppose you could even leave the crossover up high, turn it down in front off the pass manifold, then run it back. You’ll need a block off plate on the pass side where you disconnect the crossover. All depends on what you’ve got to miss and where there’s room to get the exhaust pipe out.

It’ll clean up the engine a little, but I doubt there’s much performance gain with a full exhaust system.

I think “Gabriel’s horn” is a biblical reference I won’t go in to.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Gabriel's horn is a term I've heard for the turned down exhaust pipe on the driver's side manifold where the crossover was. Sorry for the confusion as I thought it was a phrase commonly used in the Y-block world for this method of adding another  exhaust pipe on the left side.   As for being a biblical term, well, I don't know about that.   My point was, a pair of 57 or maybe 56 Lincoln car manifolds may solve the problem of adding dual exhaust IF there are no chassis  obstructions,  like the steering box etc..  That would make the task much easier and look very  clean. I know a usable pair of Lincoln manifolds will be rare but one never will know until some searching is done. 

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
DryLakesRacer
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I don’t remember y-block Fords ever doing the wrap down pipe since duals came out on all 55-up Fairlanes. The left sides were readily available in wrecking yards or dealer. It seems the newer Lincoln would be the way to go if you can find one or both. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

The above discussed method for dual exhaust was a somewhat common practice on 64 and earlier trucks due to the location of the steering box. A left side car exhaust manifold would not work in this instance.  

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
mjs
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Actually I should have several extra 368 exhaust manifolds.  They would be an easy solution but I do not know if they would fit a 317.  

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/1d5b145a-1c57-4c0d-8bd1-fba5.jpg
B-rad
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I'll check with my mechanic and see if he knows. He seems to know y blocks.

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri

Reading This Topic

Site Meter