Profile Picture

Control arm damage

Posted By peeeot 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (780 reputation)Supercharged (780 reputation)Supercharged (780 reputation)Supercharged (780 reputation)Supercharged (780 reputation)Supercharged (780 reputation)Supercharged (780 reputation)Supercharged (780 reputation)Supercharged (780 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I’m working on a 1959 Skyliner (FE-powered) that was driven far too long on failed lower control arm bushings. One bushing wore all the way through into the control arm, as seen below. Is this something that can be safely repaired, or should I be looking for a replacement arm?

1954 Crestline Victoria 312 4-bbl, 3-speed overdrive
MoonShadow
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I'm sure a good welder could fix it but I think I'd look for a replacement arm anyway.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
miker
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I agree with MoonShadow, but around here a good welder and his time would probably cost more than finding one and shipping. I’d go for a good replacement, given the rest of the arm was good on it.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
peeeot
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (780 reputation)Supercharged (780 reputation)Supercharged (780 reputation)Supercharged (780 reputation)Supercharged (780 reputation)Supercharged (780 reputation)Supercharged (780 reputation)Supercharged (780 reputation)Supercharged (780 reputation)

Sounds like replacement is the way to go. At least they aren’t too hard to find!

Thanks for your input.

peeeot
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Here is a separate, but related issue: when attempting to remove the passenger front control arm bolt, it was pretty stuck so I used a breaker bar on the head. I heard a couple of “tink” sounds and discovered that the inboard frame plate was rotating with the bolt. I was able to battle the bolt out of the frame eventually, but now I need to reattach the frame plate and am not certain how it ought to be done. There are two dimples that correspond with dimples on the frame, but they do not appear to have been a point of attachment. Any ideas?

paul2748
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Plug weld in back in.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

PF Arcand
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
A word to the wise if I may, since it's a suspension part, if going to re weld it, make sure the surfaces are properly de rusted & cleaned for welding..
... N.B.- Just noticed that this subject was some time ago, but it's worth mentioning anyway..

Paul

Reading This Topic

Site Meter