Profile Picture

Pertronix Ignitor for 55?

Posted By Half-dude 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Serious question here, I know there are old guys here opposed to getting rid of the points because you can always fix points as opposed to electronic stuff.. I've heard the argument. But I'm 30 I didn't grow up with points so if something went wrong with them I'm just as screwed either way. So I'd rather have the bigger spark and better reliability instead.

So just curious, anyone tried the pertronix system in a 6v positive ground 55 before? Any issues? Where did you get your kit?
charliemccraney
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 31 seconds ago
I have no personal experience with 6v but it seems that I have heard of them not working more than working.  I suspect this has more to do with the overall condition of the nearly 60 year old wiring as I would hope that a company doesn't produce a product that simply doesn't work... but sometimes they do.

I'm of the opinion that getting rid of points is the way to go.  New points and condensers often aren't good quality and they have a shelf life, so even NOS won't necessarily save you.

If it is a car that you want to enjoy with the fewest worries, converting to 12v is probably the way to go.  That gives many more options with better quality and availability.

Lawrenceville, GA
paul2748
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
There are a lot of people who are very happy with a Pertronix setup - don't know how many are 6 volt positive ground.  I am running a Pertronix in my 56 Bird, so far so good.  Just like any product, there are ones that people have trouble with.  Some self caused - for instance leaving the ignition switch on while the car is not running.  As with most things, treat them correctly and they will usually last.. 

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Meandean
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)

I tried it (Pertronix) in my 55 Fairlane which was switched to negative ground before I purchased it.  Still 6 volt.  With the recommended new coil.

When I cranked the starter it did nothing until the split second I let off and then it might kick, or if I was lucky, start.  I tried many things but it never did start except with luck this way, so went back to points.

It had a good battery in it. With more CCA than specified.  However, I've since replaced it with an even beefier 6 Volt battery and am very tempted to try it again. 

YMMV
miker
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I’ve seen the “won’t start till I let off” happen more than once, and did it myself. Mostly with buddy’s adding MSD boxes. A lot of older vehicle do not provide power except to the starter relay in the “start” position. Different makes are different. On Ford’s (12 volt) it came from the starter relay terminal and bypassed the ballast resistor. No ballast resister on a 55, and mines been 12 volts so long I can’t remember. But almost certainly that was the wiring problem. Easy mistake to make.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
TNieland
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (98 reputation)Supercharged (98 reputation)Supercharged (98 reputation)Supercharged (98 reputation)Supercharged (98 reputation)Supercharged (98 reputation)Supercharged (98 reputation)Supercharged (98 reputation)Supercharged (98 reputation)

The 6v positive ground pertronix works only for positive ground systems. I was going to keep my 55 stock but ended up with carburetor issues and went 12v to have a 12v fuel pump. I have a new in box 6v positive ground pertronix III for 1955 ford's. I'd let it go for $110. Shipped. Easy install as I have the 12v version installed in mine.
paul2748
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Your problem was not the battery or the Petronix.  Sounds like the car was wired wrong

Meandean (7/7/2022)
I tried it (Pertronix) in my 55 Fairlane which was switched to negative ground before I purchased it.  Still 6 volt.  With the recommended new coil.

When I cranked the starter it did nothing until the split second I let off and then it might kick, or if I was lucky, start.  I tried many things but it never did start except with luck this way, so went back to points.

It had a good battery in it. With more CCA than specified.  However, I've since replaced it with an even beefier 6 Volt battery and am very tempted to try it again. 

YMMV

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Deyomatic
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)

I had one in my old '55 Fairlane.  I got about 3 months out of it before there was no spark at all.  Put the points back in and it was fine.  Just my experience.  
Meandean
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)

Don't think so.  If it starts fine with points.  But if you have specific experience with this issue specifically I'm open for suggestions.
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
The speed/velocity of the Pertronix magnet wheel needs to be fast enough in order to create a switch signal. It takes some finite amount of time for the distributor to reach ahat speed thresholde.   Not that this is bad, but just takes a couple extra blades of fan before the engine fires and that's on a 12 volt vehicle.  At the slower cranking speed of a 6 volt system and the reduced voltage while cranking, is probably why it's hit or miss with a 6 volt system. When you relesase the key the battery voltage returns to normal and if a plug is ready to fire at that instant then the engine may start. Just my 2 cents.............

64F100 57FAIRLANE500

Reading This Topic

Site Meter