Profile Picture

Are These Tires Applicable?

Posted By Half-dude 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I found an incredible deal on 4 tires and rims on FB but it says its for a scruby. The room lug locations look the same but the tire specs look slightly different. 6.70-15 that my car has and the 8.00-14 that are being sold. Just curious are the tires and rims for scrubys of that era interchangeable?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/574273880670770/

If not what tire sizes work on the 55 rims?
55blacktie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
The bolt patterns are different. Ford has 5 x 4 1/2. The other is 5 x 4 3/4.  The tires will work on Ford 14-inch rims. Chrysler products are the same as Ford (5 x 4 1/2). Adapters are available, but they will move the wheels outward, which could cause interference issues/rubbing, and will add to the cost of the wheels and tires you are considering. The overall diameter of 8.00 15 tires is about an inch shorter than 6.70 15. 
Lou
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
A lot depends on how old these tires are. I don't feel that $450.00 is any kind of a deal, your paying almost $100.00 a tire for bias tires. Check out the swap meets I'm sure you can do much better.
DryLakesRacer
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Have the seller send you the date codes. Todays tire company’s recommend 5 years. 
My wife’s car is 7 years old with the original tires @ 13,000 miles if we were to take it on a road trip I would replace them. My F150 tires are @34000 and 5 years and look great but I wouldn’t take them cross country. Even the radials on my 56 are 5 years old with only 6000 miles on them. 
The only thing 14’s will do is a softer ride because of more side wall but I’m not sure with bias ply which I would never use today unless it was a high point show restoration. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Joe-JDC
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
You really don't want to know how old the tires are on my '70 GT-500 that I purchased new.  They are almost as old as my two sons who are in their '50s.  They look new, been garaged all their life, and I will keep them for moving the car around the shop until I meet my maker.  I bought new rims years ago when they were still available, new Polyglass GT tires in original size, and have never mounted them.  What a waste of money.  Unless you are going for a show car, or stock restoration, buy good radial tires, and don't sweat the small stuff.  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/6ca50f3b-c4c9-4e76-8178-f5a9.jpg

JDC
55blacktie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Unless I suspected there's a problem with 5-year-old tires, I wouldn't replace them. My 2017 Ram 1500 was built 5 years ago this month. However, it has just over 10,000 miles. I wouldn't hesitate to drive on those tires anywhere. On the other hand, I have 10-year-old wheels and tires in my basement that have never been driven on. If I ever finish my car, I will put new tires on the rims and put the old tires on OEM rims, the latter only driven on close to home, not at highway speeds. 

I've read that tires should be replaced at 7-9 years, as long as there's plenty of tread and no visible cracking. 

I do agree that bias-ply tires are better left to trailer queens, parades, and an occasional drive around town. If your car is a driver, radials are the way to go.  
miker
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Tires and oil are dangerous to discuss. But my take. I’ve got an old friend (70’s, like me) that’s been in the tire business for over 40 years. The original owner also was a distributor for most of the popular race tires, sports cars, drag racing, everything. He’s comfortable with 10 year old tires that look good for around town use. He can’t repair a tire after a certain age (7 years IIRC). But, this doesn’t apply to heavy usage (RV’s, loaded trucks, etc.) or long distances in hot weather.

My daily drivers don’t go many miles anymore unless we take a road trip in the little SUV. It’s 10 years old, has about 40,000 miles. I’ll drive them around town for another couple years. But if we load it up and head for Wyoming, Montana, etc. in the summer I’ll put new tires on it. At 72, I’m much less inclined to take chances and deal with problems on the road. With gas prices now that probably isn’t a concern.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
PF Arcand
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Wow!  Sure lots of opinions on tire life.. Like the 7 yr old car with only 13000 miles on it..If that car is driven normally in a moderate climate situation & possibly garaged, avoiding excessive Sun exposure, why would it need new tires, when the existing have barely a years effective driving on them?    As for the 5 yr rule, that's a generalization & frankly some of it sounds like "sales talk."  My '57 Ford has old radials on it. But the tread & sidewalls still look fine & I only drive it in moderate situation to" cars & coffee "situations or shows. If I was driving it in summer weather at say 65 mph for extended periods, yes I would replace them. I think common sense needs to be used here..not just a flat 5 year rule, mostly to the benefit of tire shop sales..   

Paul
DryLakesRacer
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

PF….. I think we all agree with what you said. My 7 yr old 13K tires are fine for any non hyway crosscountry trip. I have no intention of replacing them. The car is garaged along with my 56 and even tho both cars have very low time on their tires at 10 years I’ll probably replace them all. I watch my truck tires much closer since it’s the cross country driven every 2 years and stored outside. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter