Profile Picture

1955 Ford Y block fuel pump

Posted By Melly 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 11 days ago
I have been looking at fuel pumps for 55 through 57 Ford Y Block.  I notice there are different pump arm on then.  Not concerned with vacuum assist style but wondering which style work and which do not?  Some have the longer arm, and some have a shorter V style.  And are there any that are not affected by this crazy fuel there selling now days?     Also does fuel flow through a, electric fuel if is not turned on?
DryLakesRacer
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Most mechanical I’ve found suck thru an electric pump as long as it isn’t a vane type and used for priming.  As for an electric pushing thru a none working mechanical I would be damn sure there was it away the fuel could get into the crankcase.. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
alanfreeman
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Hi Melly.  The difference in the length of the arm is between the pumps for the 6 cylinder vs. the V-8.  The longer arm is for the V-8. I have a good working non-vacuum booster fuel pump that I took off of my 292 when I switched back to the original AC pump with vacuum booster and glass bowl.  You can have it for the cost of the shipping if you want it.   Send me a PM if you want it.  Alan 
55blacktie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Alan, how long has it been since you removed the fuel pump from the engine? I don't know what the shelf life is for a fuel pump, whether new/used.
paul2748
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Blacktie - any FE pump will work n a Y Block.  You can't use the one with the filter on the bottom because of the crossmember

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

MoonShadow
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
I've been using a FE 427 High Performance pump on my Y-Block for years. I run an inline electric to keep fuel pressure steady. Never a problem.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
alanfreeman
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I removed the fuel pump from the engine only a couple of months ago so it should still be O.K.
55blacktie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Was your response meant for Melly, the OP? I did ask about fuel pump shelf life, but it was for the OP's benefit. 

By the way, I'm eliminating vacuum wipers and heater-control valve. Fuel pump? I have a Carter M6905.
Ted
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
The fuel pumps for the 1958-1976 Ford/Edsel/Mercury FE engines (332, 352, 361, 390, 410, 427, 428) will interchange with the 1955 thru 1964 Ford Y-Block V8’s.  Through the years, the fuel pump arm did have subtle design differences, but they do fit and work the same regardless.  The 1954 Ford Y-Block fuel pumps are different and not interchangeable with the later models.

As mentioned, the ‘55-57 Thunderbirds can be picky about the bottom design of the pump as crossmember clearance on those cars can be an issue.  The '55-57 cars used a fuel pump that had a glass bowl on their bottoms, but the Thunderbird engines instead had a flat bottom with an inline filter being used instead with that filter being located on top of the engine close to the carburetor.  I use a number of 1974-1976 FE fuel pumps for the Y as those do have a nice cartridge fuel filter made on the bottom of those thus eliminating an inline fuel filter for some applications.  That particular pump does not work on an early Thunderbird but is suitable for both car and truck applications that have the Ford Y.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Melly
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)

Last Active: 11 days ago
thanks as always for your information great PEOPLE, great SITE.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter