Profile Picture

Radiator leak

Posted By mjs 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Months Ago
The radiator in my coupe, a 57 Lincoln Premiere, has developed a leak. It is in the middle of the core. I know the correct way to repair it would be to pull it and take it into a shop for repair. It has already been re-cored in the past. I am really tempted to use one of the stop leak products but I am a bit hesitant. I know all of the claims pro and con. Anyone with any experience out there? Do they actually work or are they simply band aids?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/1d5b145a-1c57-4c0d-8bd1-fba5.jpg
55blacktie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Temporary, at best.
DryLakesRacer
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
2 or 3 GM pellets crushed up were good enough for head bolts going into any block and was the fix for Toyota years ago which saved them millions in a recall. Bars leak with the pellets were good for me in the past. 
Years ago if the tube was on the outside it was cut near each end and carefully double folded over using needle nose pliers. A 7 psi cap was used. If you don’t use a recovery system make sure you leave the coolant 1” down. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
paul2748
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I'm not sure you have anything to lose if you try some stop leak.  If it does not work, then you wiil have to pull it.

K-Seal and Barr's Leak are well known brands  Minimum investment if you go this route first.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Lord Gaga
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Aluma-Seal has worked for me. Not a whole lot of goop to clog things up.

"FREE SAMPLE"
Lou
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Pull the radiator and have it fixed correctly or it will come back to bite you when you least expect it. 
mjs
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Thanks everyone for the advise.  I did already have the radiator out.  Compared to new vehicles this was easy.  Two hoses, four bolts, and it was out.  The Lincolns had a separate transmission cooler this year so it really simplifies the process.  I took it to a local radiator shop and he said it needed a new core.  It was all plugged up.  He did say it was something he could not do because of the type of core it required.  I was lucky to find and alternative shop south of town that could do it.  Added bonus that they deliver into Spokane 3 times a week and have a quick turn around time. I also did some research online and correct replacements are available at $1500 each.  

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/1d5b145a-1c57-4c0d-8bd1-fba5.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter