Profile Picture

Ok. Got my engine checked out

Posted By B-rad 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
Heard from my machine shop. He got it all cleaned up. Recap .. it's a 54 Lincoln Capri 317. He said it cleaned up really well and looks good. Said the heads are still good after getting cleaned up. Cylinders are going to be needing boring out. He has been looking for over sized pistons, like .030. I was wondering if there are easier to find bigger pistons out there. I was thinking about making it a 368 but from concerns I've read on here, worried about walls being too thin. What other sizes were made from this block? Like 330-350 cu in. Maybe the pistons will be cheaper and more readily available.
He said the crank looked strange, like it may have been hardened differently. He was telling me about some process using an oven and like CO2 to harden it. Said it wouldn't give off sparks on the belt.
So basically I would like to know what can be done with my engine needing boring.

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
DryLakesRacer
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Next factory size up is a 55 which has the same stroke. It’s a 341” and the bore would be about .140” over yours. Your block would definitely need to be sonic checked for that. Egge Machine in Santa Fe Springs Ca lists your engine as 3.800 bore and supplies piston and engine kits. I’ve done business with them since I live in Southern California at various times and they had what I needed. You would need to call on oversized pistons and rings sets. They Have a catalog you can down load. 
Kanter also lists engine parts for the 317 and Best Gaskets has set for the 317” Lincoln. Good  luck. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter