Profile Picture

Pertronix Install

Posted By paul2748 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Putting  Pertronox II in my 56 TBird.  I got two wires coming out of the factory harness, a brown one and a red one.  I know one I will not use.  Is it the brown one or the red one  ?  Not using  the resistor.

Thanks

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

57RancheroJim
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I think you will still need the two wires from the harness connected to the positive side of the coil. One provides power when the ignition switch is in the start position and the other provides power when it the run position. With the addition of the Pertronix red wire you will have three wires on the positive side.
DryLakesRacer
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
The red one came from the ignition switch and was attached originally to the ballast resistor. The brown came from the starter solenoid for the “hot start”.  You removed the short black wire that was between the resistor and coil. 
Just follow the instructions that came with the Pertronix and you will be fine. If you start burning out coils put the resistor back in. I’ve never used a coil with a wound in resistor. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
55blacktie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Pertronix says that retaining the resistor will not allow adequate current to reach the Pertronix conversion. 
57RancheroJim
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
How you wire it depends on which coil you are using, stock or Petronix. Their instructions aren't written very well.
DryLakesRacer
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I bought a Pertronix II 9 years ago. I purchased their coil also. I am local to their headquarters. Before installation I called about using the stock 56 ballast resister. The Technician said either way but without it the spark would be hotter. I chose to use it. The hot start still remains. It has not missed a beat in the 9 years in all types of driving. I’ve cleaned the inside of the cap a couple of times. Your experience may differ. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
paul2748
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Thanks, unfortunately, the instructions don't account for the two wires.  I had a Pertronix in this car, over three years ago due to a problem with the distributor (and the person who was supposed to repair it) I installed another distributor w/o the Pertronix.  Now changing back and I thought I did not connect one of the wires on the original install.  I thought it was the brown one, trying to make sure I don't screw it up.-

quote]DryLakesRacer (6/15/2022)
The red one came from the ignition switch and was attached originally to the ballast resistor. The brown came from the starter solenoid for the “hot start”.  You removed the short black wire that was between the resistor and coil. 
Just follow the instructions that came with the Pertronix and you will be fine. If you start burning out coils put the resistor back in. I’ve never used a coil with a wound in resistor. 
[/quote]

Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

paul2748
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

As I said  not using the resistor, using the Pertronix II coil with the Pertronix II

Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter