Profile Picture

Fordomatic torque converter

Posted By Rudder2fly 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Is there a way to bench pressure and how much pressure to check for seal leak?

56 VIC  Gene Stoehr Sr.
PF Arcand
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Can we assume that your Fordomatic trans is leaking badly from the front?.. If so, and I've experienced the same problem, people on here that know far more than I, have advised that it's likely the front pump leaking. It will apparently need a new seal & possibly a new bushing to stop the problem.. Others here may have more consice information..  

Paul
panel driver
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
This may be of some help.  I found this company called Fatsco transmission parts. 
www.fatsco.net  800 524 0485  they state that they have new, used and rebuilt parts for older automatics 1946 to preset. 
They list fordomatic.  In case you need a hard to find part. 

Located in Harford County Maryland 
Rudder2fly
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)

Paul Thanks for the reply. I rebuilt the trans with a parts kit I have had for a long time. The trans was running ok but had a bad leak at shift arm and a little at the pan also possibly front seal. Rebuilt went good trans worked well. Good solid shifts. I didn't change seal in torque converter that was a mistake. In no time a big leak and the seal was pinched in one spot. Why it wasn't leaking a lot prior to the rebuild is still a mystery Anyway all was good for a while now leaking. I think at the bottom of the bellhousing  I have the car up now with all 4 wheels off the concrete. I have the dust cover off the BH and wiped all down. I'm going to get my son over here and find that leak. I don't think it's the converter. Probably the old seal and I may have caused some damage when I pulled the trans to fix converter.   

56 VIC  Gene Stoehr Sr.
Rudder2fly
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks panel driver, I have wrote that Ph# down Probably will need a fresh pump seal.

56 VIC  Gene Stoehr Sr.
Rudder2fly
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Update on where I'm at on the 3 speed small case Fordomatic. I have been under the car with it running on jack stands. Looks like the gasket on tail shaft housing maybe leaking. I don't remember changing that on rebuild. The torque converter is not leaking. Fluid level is barely on the dip stick. Now here is the weird part; with the trans in neutral doesn't appear to leak at the bell housing at all, but in park there is ever so slightly a drip of oil. I recall that I had to pull the pin that holds parking paw. The pin goes in from the outside of trans case. Was their suppose to be some kind of sealer for that pin? I don't think the front pump seal is leaking. Attached is a picture of Tye A trans oil I have bought from O'Reilly's.http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/3a96d8f7-9fd5-4a13-bfef-f634.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b643be51-2317-4d50-8bbc-3431.jpg

56 VIC  Gene Stoehr Sr.
Rudder2fly
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

The gasket I'm referring to is the oblong cover on the right side of tail shaft housing.

56 VIC  Gene Stoehr Sr.
55blacktie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
What is the application for your "small case" Fordomatic? My 55 Tbird has a medium-case Fordomatic.

Although the Loadomatic originally used Type A fluid, Type A, which provided smooth shifts, also caused the transmission to slip (that's why it shifted smoothly). Slipping also accelerated wear. Type F replaced Type A, firming up shifts, reducing slippage, and extending transmission life. Nevertheless, Dexron/Mercon transmission fluid is superior to either Type A/F. It will extend transmission life and require fewer fluid changes. A technical article that discusses the advantages of using Dexron can be found in the Technical section of the CTCI Thunderbird Restoration Specifications and Details Manual.

Drag racers like Type F for the firm shifts, and Hughes recommends it for their torque converters (assuming it will be raced). Racers are more concerned about winning races than having their transmission last 100,000 miles. 
Rudder2fly
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

My application is 312 CI out of 59 Y-Block. I have been running FRED's Type A fluid. The shifts have been super solid. No sign of slippage.

56 VIC  Gene Stoehr Sr.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter