Profile Picture

valve guides

Posted By BamaBob 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 10 hours ago
In searching for valve guides for my ECZ-G heads, I find that there are two different lengths of them, with no explanation(that I can find)as to where and when the two sizes are used. One size is 2 3/8" long and the other is 2 1/2" long. All other measurements are the same. Can anyone tell me where the different lengths are used? What is their specific application? Both sizes are listed for the 1957 heads. Also, there are smooth bore guides and spiral bore guides. Which is the best to use? Does one have an advantage over the other? Would the spirals interfere with the normal valve rotation? So many questions - I am confused! Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
55blacktie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
The "spirals" are probably similar to "knurling" worn valve guides to reduce excessive clearance and to retain oil; this is an "old-school" practice that might have gone away.I don't think it has anything to do with valve rotation.  To my knowledge, all 57 Y-block heads should use the same length guides; however, not all Y-block heads are the the same height. 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter