Profile Picture

Y-Block Lifting Bracket

Posted By BamaBob 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 hours ago
I have seen pictures on this forum of a lifting bracket fastened on the intake manifold where the carburetor sits. Is this a safe place to lift the entire engine from? It seems to me that the carb mounting bolts would be sorta small to hold all that weight, but that is also the most accessible point to use. Would it be advisable to use a home-made bracket at this location? I'm thinking of using a flat piece of steel that is a couple of inches larger than the carb base with chain fastening hooks just in from each corner. The plate will be mounted with the carb base in the exact center to hopefully equalize the weight distribution. Does anyone have any experience with something like this, or can offer professional advice? Any and all will be welcome!
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
I have used such a lifting plate for years with no issues.  The carb mounting studs are plenty strong enough.  My brackets are flat plates with a loop welded on the top for the hook of my chain hoist to fit in.  The loop is centered on the plate. 

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
Joe-JDC
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Recently installed a 428CJ with C-6 attached using the carb lift plate.  I was removing an engine several years ago with the lift plate, and actually lifted the whole front of the car due to a bolt left in the motor mount before I realized what was happening.  I use grade 8 washers and nuts, without any issues.  Joe-JDC

JDC
paul2748
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
This is a great lift plate that goes on the intake.  Problem - 240.00 but well worth the cost if you do a lot of engine removal and install.

https://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/collections/articulated-engine-lift-plate

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

DANIEL TINDER
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Last Active: 11 hours ago
I just wonder, if your intake is aluminum, whether it might be better to lift with the exhaust manifolds (or their bolts)?  My hoist rig is set up like that anyway, since I had originally planned to buy/install the Blue Thunder after spare short block/heads were in place.

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA

Reading This Topic

Site Meter