Profile Picture

hardened valve seats

Posted By BamaBob 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 hours ago
I am looking to replace the valve seats in two G heads and cannot find the hardened valve seats for the intake valves. Does anyone know where to purchase these? Or, what is the measurements of the correct seats? Maybe I can find them by the dimensions listed for other engine valve seats. Thanks.
55blacktie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 9 days ago
Bama, ask Ted Eaton. He routinely replaces exhaust-valve seats, and intakes when called for. 
charliemccraney
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 4 hours ago
Seats are custom fit items.  The average person will not be able to do it.  Take the heads to a machine shop and have them take care of it.

Lawrenceville, GA
darrell
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
some use the brand x intake seats with 1.94 valves
BamaBob
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
I am intending to take the heads to a machine shop to be refurbished. I thought maybe I could locate all the needed parts and save a little money on the rebuild since the shop owner would not have to spend the time locating them. However, I think I'll just turn the whole job over to the machine shop! Thanks for all the replies - you have helped me to decide what to do.
Ted
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Taking valve seats to a machine shop to have them installed is analogous to taking a set of spark plugs to a tune up shop to have them installed.  Machine shops do have their own preferences as to which brands of seats they install in the cylinder heads.  Some of that may deal with how thick the seats are and another consideration would be the slight differences in O.D. between the various brands which the machine shop must be able to compensate for.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

PF Arcand
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
It's my understanding that installing valve seats on the " Intake side" isn't really important for casual street use. Yes / no?. 

Paul
Joe-JDC
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 57 minutes ago
Not necessary on the intake side since the fuel keeps the intake valve and seat cooler.  Less erosion.  Also, if you install a slightly larger intake valve- 1.940 vs 1.920, or 1.960 vs 1.940, you will get a better radius on to the seat, and better transition into the combustion chamber, and fresh seat material.  I prefer a smaller intake valve than jumping to a 2.020 due to valve shrouding, weight, and flow.  Joe-JDC

JDC
55blacktie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 9 days ago
How about 1.94/1.54 in G heads?

Reading This Topic

Site Meter