Profile Picture

55 T-Bird Hood Alignment

Posted By 312YBlock 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I found the cause, the right bracket assembly bolted to the hood has play in it. If I push on the hood it rights itself and will close normally.

1955 312 T-Bird Warwick, NY
Florida_Phil
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

I am pretty sure everyone on this forum knows this, but for those who don't here's some advice.  Removing the engine from an early Tbird is something every owner dreads. Unfortunately, some jobs that on any other car could be done with the engine left in can not be easily done on these cars. The good news is removing the engine is not overly difficult. I can take my engine out and put it back in under 6 hours. One of the most troublesome jobs when removing the engine can be hood realignment. You can spend all day messing with the hood if you don't do this right. Before you unbolt the hood, drill a 1/8" hole through the hood hinge and the hood on both sides being careful not to drill all the way.  When you reinstall the hood, use two 1/8" drill bits in those holes to realign the hood as it was before. It's an old trick, but I am amazed when some don't know about it.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

bird55
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)

Yes, I agree with the drill bit alignment method. It is a surefire way of handling this. I would also add that I use an engine hoist to remove and install my hood by myself. Even with two folks, it's sketchy at best, so I am actually more confident to do it by myself this way. Just use moving blankets placed in strategic areas.

I have also made up temporary wooden dollies to hold the doors to remove and reinstall them by myself. This makes for a much easier job and gives you good control.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e7e2fb31-a3a8-4ff4-9b42-f6ab.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d8028aa4-f8f9-4981-9e51-4428.jpg
       A  L  A  N   F  R  A  K  E  S   ~  Tulsa, OK    

55blacktie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
Hopefully, the hood is properly aligned before you drill the holes.
Vic Correnti
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
No need to remove the hood in a 55 bird. I have left the transmission in my 55 bird and removed the engine multiple times and not removed the hood by reaching over the fenders with an engine hoist.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/7393d096-cbf0-4ed0-bfdc-c4b0.jpg  Vic Correnti

tbirddragracer
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (132 reputation)Supercharged (132 reputation)Supercharged (132 reputation)Supercharged (132 reputation)Supercharged (132 reputation)Supercharged (132 reputation)Supercharged (132 reputation)Supercharged (132 reputation)Supercharged (132 reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Same for a '57 Bird, no need to remove the hood.
Ernie

Reading This Topic

Site Meter