Profile Picture

WTB - 1961-1964 262 CID Ford Six Cylinder Engine

Posted By Ted 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Looking for and buy a Ford 1961-1964 262 six cylinder engine that’s rebuildable for a Bonneville Salt Flats project.  Will consider either short blocks and/or complete engines.

Email me with any leads.  My contact information is located under ‘Contact Us’ at    www.eatonbalancing.com

These engines look similar to the 223 six cylinders but were offered only for the 1961-1964 model years.  I’m told that for 1961-1963 these engines were only available in the HD trucks but for 1964 they could be ordered in ½ and ¾ ton pickups.  Some identifiers will include a timing cover mounted fuel pump for the 1961-1963 models.  The ’64 models were available with a block mounted fuel pump.  Dual belt dampers on the 262’s but these could have been changed out to a single belt 223 damper depending upon the history of the engine or its final application.  The 262 blocks have a horizontal reinforcing rib running down the left side of the block through the middle of the freeze plugs which is the easy identifier.

Thanks, Ted Eaton.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

62bigwindow
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Sent you a email.

Durham Missouri
bird55
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Ted, I'm familiar with these a little as I used to have a 223 six in my pickup.
I'll keep my eyes open around here. Pretty rare though I've only seen a couple.
As you probably know, John Mullen runs one in his XO/PP land speed pickup.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d8028aa4-f8f9-4981-9e51-4428.jpg
       A  L  A  N   F  R  A  K  E  S   ~  Tulsa, OK    

bird55
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)

Here's a link to a truck that says it has a 223 BUT, it is a f-250 and may really be a 262, if you want to check it out
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/356384639824093/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A5252594d-9061-4979-984c-efe7483b3244

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d8028aa4-f8f9-4981-9e51-4428.jpg

Ted
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Thanks to all who have provided leads for 262 engines.  It would appear that all I-6 engines are 262 until proven otherwise which means all those engines advertised as 262 engines that I have followed up on have ended up being 223 or 300 Ford sixes.

If it helps when looking at a truck with the Ford Six, the fourth digit in the VIN for the 1961-1964 trucks is the engine code and the code for the 262 six is ‘B’.  If that engine code is ‘A’ or ‘J’, the original engine was a 223 six.  It would be rare for a 262 to have been a transplant but a quick look at the freeze plug side of the block for the third horizontal reinforcing rib along the lower portion of the block would help to verify if that engine was indeed a 262.

Still in need of a 262 short block or complete engine that is rebuildable so keep those leads coming.  Thanks in advance, Ted.

bird55
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Yes, just as I suspected. I've only seen a couple after I knew what to look for.
I'm guessing you already know of John Mullens's land speed car? I've followed his work some and met up with him last year at Wendover.

DryLakesRacer
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

John has been plagued with many teething pains in his quest for an LSR record. Not only engine but body rules too. His frame alterations of late were once never allowed and may prove to be a big help. It’s a big truck. 

An observation on LSR competition and rule book led me to what I chose for an engine when I started in competition in 1975. I could have done better with the body chosen but that would come later.
When I started there was only “X” and “XX”  and a limit of 325 cubic inches and no breaks. I naturally looked to the biggest engines, Hudson 6, Buick 8. GMC 6, and Chrysler 8, to not want to give up too much. Flathead Ford-Merc just gave up to much even tho there was mixture in the records at the time. I chose the 302 GMC 6 which I was most familiar and have been very competitive over the last 45 years. The class was later split. Ford Mercs in XF and everything else in XO, the “O” was for other, as I was at the meeting. 

Today with the costs of cars to start it’s tougher to decide but I can tell you from experience “ smaller is better” whether in a modified body class or in a production class. For the most part this is very true in all SCTA classes. I for one have found many places where I can improve parasitic load reduction whenever I can because I can no longer alter the vehicle I’m using but sometimes the choice of vehicle was too much to over come. As an example: if using a 53-56 Ford pickup. The last one anyone would choose is the 56….look at the windshield to top line. The mid 70’s GM Monza  body style still hold records for a reason…

I really admire and love to see the differences when I go to Bonneville which one of the last places where “cookie cutter cars” don’t seem to be. I wish everyone good luck 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
PF Arcand
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Ted; What years, later presumably, were the 300" sixes available & in what?..  

Paul
Ted
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

PF Arcand (4/4/2022)
Ted; What years, later presumably, were the 300" sixes available & in what?..

The 300 Ford six is a longer stroke version of the 240.  The 240 was introduced for the 1965 car and truck models and was used in the cars thru 1972.  It continued to be used in the trucks and vans until 1974 at which point it was discontinued.

The 300 six was also introduced in 1965 but was reserved for pickup, truck, and van usage.  The last model year for the 300 Ford six was 1996.

yalincoln
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)

hi ted! i might have you a 262! i'll have to check for the extra rib! it does have the tall valve cover! sorry i missed the y-block shootout. you could have stopped by and picked it up! i'll check it out the net time i go out to the farm! and i'll let you know! you know that ford used a 242 deisel in the 6000 ford tractor in the 60's? same as the 223 gas! it might have a steel crank? i don't remember the bore and stroke!

lincoln/merc. y-blocks &mel's                                                               bucyrus, ohio.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter