Profile Picture

WANTED-POWER STEERING CYLINDER FOR '56

Posted By Jack Groat 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Months Ago
My power cylinder worked fine, but had a slow leak leaving a puddle on the floor.  I sent it to Steer and Gear in Ohio and he tells me there is a crack in the outer housing.  He says it is unrepairable.  I need another.  Or somebody who can weld cast iron.

Thanks
Lou
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
If you have a " Car Quest" auto parts store near you check with them, I got a factory rebuilt from them in 2017 for  $ 167.00 exchange.
paul2748
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
Would Lares Corp have what you need.  They rebuild steering systems.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Jack Groat
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)

Wow... Car Quest??  I'll try..  The guy who has mine and restores these old parts for a living..  He says they are rare to impossible to find.  Dennis Carpenter (I think) says cores are no longer available for rebuild and they have a made-from-scratch unit for $750.  As always, I appreciate the input and help..
Jack Groat
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I found a site that fabricates power steering cylinders for old classics.  They had dozens of cylinders listed by part number and it took me a while to find an application chart.  All scrubys....

Anyway, I had a long talk with the guy who has my cylinder who said it was "unrepairable" and when I told him I was unable to find another core to send to him, he said, "OK, I'll fix this one".

I told him I thought you said it was unrepairable.  He said anything can be fixed if you want to spend the time.  I have no idea what this is going to cost me. 
one piece at a time
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
There is one on EBay for $500 + 30 shipping new for 53 through 57. I searched 1956 ford power steering.

Duane

Reading This Topic

Site Meter