Profile Picture

I HAVE A RANT

Posted By harleyjohn45 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Last month sent a power steering cylinder to the Lares Corp for rebuild. I did not inquire about the price, because they were always below 200.00.  When I received the notice for the rebuild it was for 399.00.  They explained they had a price increase.  Be forewarned their price increase is 100%.  I will be going elsewhere from now on.  
charliemccraney
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
How long ago was it below $200?  And how much do others charge for a comparable service?

Lawrenceville, GA
harleyjohn45
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)

I really don't know, most likely very recent.  Summit Racing is still advertising them for 205.00 and they also pay shipping.  I'm sure Lares has not given them a new price list.  Should I need another cylinder, I can find a source. Any good machine shop can rebuild cylinders and the kits can be bought on line. I have used them in the past, but never again. 
paul2748
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Hate to say this, and now you know, but you should have inquired about price before having them
n repair it.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

darrell
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 minutes ago
if you want a real shock drop a car of for a paint job without getting a price.well i got work done there before and it wasnt that bad.cost him more than the price of the car.
RB
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
In my experience do not deal with Lares directly.  Go through Rock Auto or Summit for better pricing.  They seem to be about the only re-builder out there...I am not in love with Lares quailty of work.. I sent them a control valve with a cracked cap  It came back with the cap epoxied..
DryLakesRacer
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Seals are pretty easy to replace if that’s the only problem. Not knowing your exact needs Concours sells different ones for $279-379 as replacements which I had to do a few years ago but not near that price. 
 It’s unfortunate what’s happened to parts and full replacements for almost everything on our cars especially if we want them original. I feel your pain. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
harleyjohn45
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Wat you say is right, It's really on me.
harleyjohn45
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

paul2748 (2/6/2022)
Hate to say this, and now you know, but you should have inquired about price before having them repair it.

Yes you are correct. It's really on me and as far as paint, it's now so expensive.  I just bought the 56 4 years ago and the paint was a 30 footer.  
I paid a guy 3k to touch up everything.  The previous owner had painted the car, it had plenty of paint but showed badly.  This painter sanded the car, got the runs out, did a lot of repairs, painted the door jams and put a super coat of clear on the car.  I then paid a detailer 300. to buff the car and he did a great job.  The car is not perfect, but it's a clean car and it drives good.  The previous owner had put a headliner in the car and it looked bad, so I had an older lady friend do the head liner, carpet, door cording, hand loops ?, and thresholds.  When she got done and I picked the car up she said how do you like the job.  It was terrible, so I said it's beautiful.  She was a friend for 30 years and at one time was a great upholsterer.  I was moving to New Mexico so when I got here I took it to an upholsterer here and he straightened everything out.  That's when I discovered you have to remove the rear window to install a headliner.  LOL

harleyjohn45
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

DryLakesRacer (2/7/2022)
Seals are pretty easy to replace if that’s the only problem. Not knowing your exact needs Concours sells different ones for $279-379 as replacements which I had to do a few years ago but not near that price. 
 It’s unfortunate what’s happened to parts and full replacements for almost everything on our cars especially if we want them original. I feel your pain. 

My ram had a bad spot, I replaced seals previously and the ram leaked.  I told them about the ram and they said the ram build was included. It was probably not too bad a price, however I don't need them any more.  There is a machine shop in High Rolls NM, 40 miles from my home that can build anything and they had done work for me before.  

Reading This Topic

Site Meter