Profile Picture

57 parts on a 55 4 bbl 272

Posted By junkyardjeff 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
I stupidly sold the original 4 bbl engine from my 55 and trying to build another out of a 55 2 bbl engine I picked up,I want the block and heads to be correct but will be installing 57 parts like the cam,4 bbl intake,distributor,rocker arms and exhaust manifolds so what I would like to know is will some of those parts like the cam and rocker arms be over kill and hurt the performance or will all the 57 parts I mentioned help.

Butchering up everything I can get my hands on in Dayton Ohio
Ted
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
Any ’57 parts you can add to the 272 will help the performance.  Keep in mind that the EZC-G heads were also on both the 1957 272 and 292 engines along with the 1.54:1 rockers.  With that said, I would go with the ECZ-G heads if given the choice rather than the ECG-A or ECG-C heads.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

junkyardjeff
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

I grabbed the rockers and distributor from a 57 272 in a F350 but had been open for years and full of water,if it had a hood on it I would have grabbed the heads.  Would like a set of G heads but have not been able to find them reasonably priced so the original 4 bbl heads will be good enough and better then the 2 bbl heads I have.

Florida_Phil
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
My 55 Thunderbird engine was totally stock when I purchased this car.  Someone had done a backyard rebuild on the original engine and it was a mess.  I kept my original 292 cylinder block and junked the rest.  A good friend had a 40,000 mile 1957 Ford 272 station wagon engine that had been sitting in his storage shed for ten years. I bought his engine and used most of it in my new TBird engine along with the 57 distributor.  I also bought a 1957 312 "B" manifold off EBay and a new Holley 465 to put on it.   Back in the day we knew 1957 Ford Y-Blocks ran better than other Y-Blocks, but we didn't know why.  We now know that all 1957 Ford Y-Block passenger car engines had the better heads. At one time I had three sets.  My buddy still has two sets and he would most likely sell a pair. They are in Central Florida if you are interested.  PM me and I will give you his contact information.  With all the restomods under construction these days, I'm sure you could find your own if you ask around.   There is a world of difference between a pure stock 1955 Y-Block engine and my current engine. If you can possibly pull it off, get the better heads and intake. It's well worth it.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

carl
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday

Jeff   i can probably find you a set of G heads,i have a couple sets of 113 heads if you are interested in them   Carl
junkyardjeff
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I have a set of ECZ-C heads but were told they would drop the compression in a 272 but do have a set of almost new (500 miles) 292 pistons and could make it a 292.

55blacktie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

The 272 would have to be bored 0.130 for standard 3.75 292 pistons. 
BamaBob
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)

Phil, I sent you a PM a few days ago. Did you receive it? Thank you.
Florida_Phil
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Sorry, I don't normally sign in unless I want to post.  I replied to your PM.  Let me know if you don't get it.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter