Profile Picture

Oil Filler Caps...are they all the same?

Posted By Deyomatic 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
The engine in the car is a 292 out of a '59 Fairlane- the previous owner modified the oil filler cap to allow a fuel pressure gauge to fit.  

I want to get another one- are they all the same for Y blocks?  I just want the stock one.  Any recommendations?

Thanks.  
PF Arcand
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Some caps are not same as originals, particularly the small often chrome plated ones.  I bought a std size one some time ago that was marked Autolite if I recall.  Concours Parts listed a Black repro #6766 - CR some time back.  Also a Chrome plated one for T.Birds at a higher price.

Paul
Ted
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 days ago
All the oil tubes for the factory valley covers for the Ford Y are the same diameter so any year Y-Block oil cap is expected to work.  The tubes are also the same O.D. as the FE Ford so that helps.  Some of the aftermarket valley covers for the Ford Y use a different sized oil tube which will require a different oil cap.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Joe-JDC
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 22 minutes ago
Don't get the cheap $9.99 ones.  The spring clips break and fall into the fill tube.  They are junk.  BTDT.  Joe-JDC

JDC
DryLakesRacer
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Mine has a Stant with a 1/2” hose fitting which I have going to my air cleaner on the inside of the filter. I used it that prior to the PCV system to reduce engine smell. The PCV system should be filtered on the intake side. The Stant was gray/silver color with the ID number in the center on a paper decal. It was old when I found it. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
bird55
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Have any of you guys used a K&N crankcase filter for your filler cap? I've seen them used on our y-block engines but never actually heard if they are useful in this application? Pricey, I know by comparison.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d8028aa4-f8f9-4981-9e51-4428.jpg
       A  L  A  N   F  R  A  K  E  S   ~  Tulsa, OK    

DANIEL TINDER
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Theoretically, the more effective the filtration, the better it is for engine life, though if overly restrictive it might somehow effect PCV function (?).  The spring-mount caps (like orig.) allow too much unfiltered air to pass around the tube-to-cap fit, though if too tight it can make adding oil rather troublesome.

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 6 days ago
Many years ago I purchased the reproduction breather cap for T-birds because it has a dense foam filtering media inside similar to what many small engine air filter are made of. By adding one drop of motor oil in each hole helps collect and hold airborn dust.  It gets cleaned in mineral spirits every yeart and reused. The fit on the oil filler tube is very good, like, better than most.  Judging by the dirt that comes out of this cap I'd say it works great and  no need for a closed cap piped to the engine air filter housing.  Just my 2cents............
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/8d236497-3db6-4ec0-9a15-b81d.jpg   

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/14e53ec5-4e9d-4607-8aea-be3a.jpg

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
Deyomatic
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)

Nice.  Thanks for the info.  I put in an order for one from Dennis Carpenter...and good call on the FE, Ted.  I had a MAJOR brain fart and was about to "SUBMIT" my order for one for a 1958-1965 (?) Thunderbird when it dawned on me that Ford SLOWLY killed the Y block starting with the T Bird and that this would have been an FE.  I was thinking that my engine was from a '59 Fairlane.  I knew better.  I guess it wouldn't have mattered anyway.  
paul2748
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Mummert lists a few different caps on his web site in conjunction with his aluminum covers.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter