Profile Picture

55 Fairlane 272 carburetor upgrade

Posted By TNieland 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (98 reputation)Supercharged (98 reputation)Supercharged (98 reputation)Supercharged (98 reputation)Supercharged (98 reputation)Supercharged (98 reputation)Supercharged (98 reputation)Supercharged (98 reputation)Supercharged (98 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I have a stock 272 with a stock holly 4000 4 bbl and a loadamatic distributor.
Carb leaks and I need to replace it. Should I buy a rebuilt 4000 and stay with the stock setup or get a aftermarket carburetor and electronic distributor? I want it to be a cruiser and reliable. Did a search but couldn't get a concise answer.
charliemccraney
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
For a reliable cruiser, you want a new aftermarket carb and electronic distributor.  You will also need a carburetor adapter or do an intake swap, in order to mount a new carburetor.

Lawrenceville, GA
Deyomatic
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)

I used to have a '55 Fairlane with a 272 and went from the 2 bbl to the 9425-A (small base 4 bbl) intake....I am guessing that is what you have.  
Aside from the physical work the hardest part was finding the carburetor gasket for the 9425-A manifold.  I didn't know if an adapter existed so I bought a 1" aluminum carburetor spacer and used the small carb gasket as template, drilled out holes that matched the holes in the small gasket and countersunk the holes and match ported the holes in the intake to the holes in the spacer. Then I just bolted that to the intake with Allen bolts...then it was just a matter of bolting on an Edelbrock 500 with a manual choke...Whatever model number that is.  It ran great.  
While I only vaguely remember it- I also swapped distributors at the same time.  I had a bad Pertronix Ignitor II that only lasted a couple of months so I switched back to the points and condenser.  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d03ba1b2-4875-4dd3-b543-c011.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/af627cef-83dd-4190-a9b3-625c.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/ec4897fd-cca1-4b03-b04b-58ba.jpg
paul2748
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

If the 4000 is rebuilt correctly, it's just as good as a later Holley in my opinion.  I run a 4000 on my 56 Bird, and it runs very good.  Do have a later distributor and the Holley is modified for the later distributor.

Just don't have the 4000 rebuilt by the guy down the street.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

TNieland
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (98 reputation)Supercharged (98 reputation)Supercharged (98 reputation)Supercharged (98 reputation)Supercharged (98 reputation)Supercharged (98 reputation)Supercharged (98 reputation)Supercharged (98 reputation)Supercharged (98 reputation)

I have a ECB-9425-B so I will need a adapter. I'm probably going aftermarket with pertronics
TNieland
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Can anyone point me to a adapter plate?
miker
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I’m not sure this is the right one, but it gives you an idea. Someone else would know. While I’ve run both the 1406 Eddy’s and the 600 Holleys, I’d be looking at some of the more efficient smaller carbs today. Again, someone with personal experience should address that.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/trd-2064

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
TNieland
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks Mike that's what I was looking for. Any carburetor recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Deyomatic
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)

For $33 I'd try that adapter and if it didn't work do what I did.  As for carb recommendations, again, based on what I did with my Club Sedan, I'd get another Edelbrock.  Mine was the 1404 - 500 CFM with manual choke.  It really woke up my old 272 from it's 2 bbl slumber.  I never had to mess with it.  Worked great out of the box.  
The only reason I snagged a Holley for my current Y block is because that's what I took off of it- so the choke cable, throttle linkage, etc. will all work without having to mess with it.  

DryLakesRacer
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

I’ve used small base Carter WCFB’s from both 1953 Cadillacs and Oldsmobiles on an A manifold along with a 57 up distributor with both points and a Pertronix II. The Cadillac didn’t need a new fuel line since it came in at the back like the Ford Holley. Only needed to make a metal bracket I screwed to the carb stock linkage to use the Ford foot feed linkage. They worked perfect. 

If your wanting a newer carb which uses an adapter I would go with a 500 cfm Summit. Originally made by Holley as a replacement copy of the Ford Autolite. Still made by Holley for Summit. Great car for our engines especially the 500cfm. On ANY engine they get high reviews as great right out of the box. I currently have one ready to install on a Blue Thunder dual plane high rise if I ever take off the dual quads I’ve been running for 7 yrs. Adapters are available thru Summit and others. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter