Profile Picture

Thinking of changing gauges on my 56 Fairlane.

Posted By harleyjohn45 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Of the 4 original gauges on my 56 only 1 works.  The fuel gauge.  The previous owner added an amp meter, oil pressure, and temperature under the dash.  They are hard to see and look bad.  Will those gauges fit in the instrument panel on my car.  They look the same. 
Thanks
MoonShadow
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
I used the original chrome bezels to help fit and hold the gauges in place. Easy swap. I didn't do the speedometer buy plan to change it to a GPS unit someday. I'm not sure of the size and have too many other irons in the fire right now. I've had excellent service from Speedhut but favored some old SW for the Vicky.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
harleyjohn45
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)

Not familiar with Speed Hut, but I will look them up and see what they have.  Thank you for the advice, I prefer my gauges in the dash.
Rono
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
I put Haneline guages in my 56 Customline, they are really nice  guages but they are out of business now. Most recently I put a set of Stewart Warner guages in our 56 Ranch Wagon and really like them. They have a lot of styles to choose from. The speedo is electronic (I think all of them are now) and uses a pulse generator. The set up will depend on what tranny you are running. The other thing I don't particularly like about swapping out gauges is that the sending unit you get with the fuel gauge has a universal length float arm that has to be cut down depending on the depth of your fuel tank. You only have one shot at cutting and bending the float arm, so take your time and measure twice, cut once!

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

harleyjohn45
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Rono (1/19/2022)
I put Haneline guages in my 56 Customline, they are really nice  guages but they are out of business now. Most recently I put a set of Stewart Warner guages in our 56 Ranch Wagon and really like them. They have a lot of styles to choose from. The speedo is electronic (I think all of them are now) and uses a pulse generator. The set up will depend on what tranny you are running. The other thing I don't particularly like about swapping out gauges is that the sending unit you get with the fuel gauge has a universal length float arm that has to be cut down depending on the depth of your fuel tank. You only have one shot at cutting and bending the float arm, so take your time and measure twice, cut once!

Thank You Rono

Reading This Topic

Site Meter