Profile Picture

E Code Valley Pans - how difficult are they to find?

Posted By Daniel Jessup 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
WOW 

Are the original E code valley pans now bringing this kind of cash? I do not know the seller and this is no slam on his listing, just an observation. It has been a long time since I have seen one come up for sale, whether online somewhere else, a swap meet, or even here in the forum classifieds. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/1fc39c65-4551-461a-a684-d17b.png

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e5a96a6c-5c1e-4ae1-a426-421a.jpg

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

carl
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
i have one chrome plated ,didnt know they were worth that much   
slumlord444
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
It's an asking price not a sold price. They are tough to find. I am selling my dual quad setup without the valley pan because its on my engine now and with the Mummert heads I can't get it off without pulling  a head. Maybe it's worth pulling the head?
Ted
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Hard to believe that those dual quad valley covers would ever bring more money than the intake manifold itself.  But stranger things have happened.  Reproductions of those covers have been available at different times so those covers are valid options for the restoration crowd.

Back in its heyday, I recall seeing a random few 312 engines in the wrecking yards with those recessed valley covers but the engines had 2V intakes and carbs.  At the time, those engines were being torn down to salvage the cylinder heads.  It’s now apparent that those 312’s were likely dual quad engines that had been switched out to a more manageable intake and carburetor.  I’m still aware of an original 1957 dual quad set up sitting on a shelf that was pulled from its engine in 1961 and replaced with a 2V setup which simply validates what I was seeing in the wrecking yards in the later years.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Cliff
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Here's one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224730613724?hash=item3452fd07dc:g:ZHcAAOSwo8phsDPs

Guess I should have clicked on the first link
paul2748
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

I'm surprised John Mummert didn't make some up out of aluminum since he had the other aluminum valley pans and it would seem to me that it would only require a slight modification of the ones he now produces.  I know there is not a great demand for them, but there is some demand.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

slumlord444
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Thers a guy on the east coast in his late 80's making them from standard valley pans. 
paul2748
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Name, address, any contact info?

slumlord444 (12/13/2021)
There's a guy on the east coast in his late 80's making them from standard valley pans. 

Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

paul2748
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I have been informed that Felix Natoli makes reproductions of the E code valley pans, both the sedan style and the Tbird style.    Cell 585-880-1071.  I have had dealings with Felix on other matters and happy with his service.  I know nothing about the valley pans other than he reproduces them.

Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

NoShortcuts
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
The '56 over-the-parts-counter-only Ford 2x4 Power Pack kits came with a valley pan that had a heavy gauge cold rolled flat steel surface (no contour) with the rear vent tube attachment provision.
The '57 Ford E code production valley pan had a mold formed sheet metal valley pan also with the rear vent tube attachment provision.  The valley pan's center concave area was necessary to accommodate the Ford y-blocks 2x4 intake manifold.

Felix Natoli in Western New York State makes reproductions of both styles of these original y-block valley pans. 
- His flat surface '56 style Power Pack valley pans are made from scratch using correct thickness cold rolled steel sheet.  My recollection is that he attaches the oil fill tube using silver solder rather than bronze brazing rod.  Reason - increased strength and a neater joining job. 
- His reproduction '57 E code valley pans are re-manufactured units made using original y-block valley pans that had the rear vent tube attachment provision. 

The original ‘usual’ valley pan assembly with its oil fill tube, the vent tube 'box' on the underside of the pan assembly, AND the original baffle on the underside of the valley pan are carefully removed.  Care is necessary because the tube was usually brazed (pre-'60?) in place while the vent tube 'box' and pan 'baffle' were spot welded in place.  The removal of the fill tube 'box' & 'baffle' are necessary to permit Felix to reshape the valley pan cover center area using a hydraulic press and a formed mold to accomplish the re-shaping.  He may re-install the original oil fill tube or install a new one, AND installs a newly made replacement vent tube 'box' and replacement 'baffle' when reassembling the re-shaped valley pan cover.  Note: because of the concave area of FoMoCo’s E code valley pan, the E baffle plate was not the same as those used on the B, C, and D code engines’ valley pan covers. Felix's replacement baffle plate has a pressed pattern similar to the pattern FoMoCo used in stamping the original E code baffle.  Attachment of the oil fill tube is done with silver solder, attachment of the replacement vent tube 'box' and replacement valley pan 'baffle' are by spot welding as the originals were done by FoMoCo.
Addendum:
In addition to the two species of FoMoCo y-block 2x4 valley pans that I mentioned above, (the flat steel '56 Power Pack piece and the original '57 E code style) in the years after actual ’57 model year valley pan production, there were FoMoCo production changes made to the E code valley pan cover available for sale over the parts counter.  The demand was such for E code valley pans after the actual '57 vehicle production year that Ford continued to make them for many years after the original production run was exhausted. 
Post 1957 made FoMoCo E code valley pans were produced with a dome at the base of the oil filler tube (the same as the valley pans made for post-'57 pick-up and passenger car applications) and the oil fill tube was still brazed (bronze welded) in place.  Personally, I think the dome was added by the production engineers to add strength / rigidity to the cover and prevent distortion when oil was added to the engine and the fill-tube breather cap was removed or re-installed.
As production of the y-block engines continued for FoMoCo vehicles through 1964, at some point the continued-to-be-produced replacement '57 E code valley pan had the oil fill tube mechanically attached to the dome (a crimping operation securing the tube to the cover) rather than by brazing.  The eBay pictures Dan posted earlier in this thread showed a later E code replacement valley pan with the oil fill tube mechanically joined to the valley pan cover.

Felix has JUST finished making two of his reproduction '57 E code valley pans.  IF you’re interested in obtaining one, consider calling him on his cell phone at 585-880-1071.  He has a home phone number, but I'd recommend using his cell phone.  Felix is in his late 80s.  Speak-up in talking to him on the phone.

Nobody makes better '56 Power Pack or '57 E code reproduction valley pans than Felix!  He has previously marketed his E code valley pans on eBay for around $300.  He advertises on eBay using the name, Natolibird.  Prices on everything are going up, but he may be able to offer a better price if his eBay expenses are not involved.  He specializes in producing reproduction Ford passenger car and Thunderbird fuel lines, throttle linkage components, and choke tubes.  He also has various new and used Ford passenger car, 'Bird, and y-block parts.

Hope this helps someone!

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York

Reading This Topic

Site Meter