Profile Picture

WHEEL HOP

Posted By FORD DEARBORN 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 days ago
Greetings to all - Open to suggestions regarding "wheel hop".  This is my 64 F100 with bone stock suspension.   I don't race or drive it agressively. I would estimate no less than 250HP, , T5 trans and 3.5 in the rear.  If being a little spirited while taking off or even slowly pushing it to the floor in 1st, back wheel(s) will brake loose but instead of just a nice screaming burnout, an awful case of wheel bounce takes place which is hell on the drivetrain.   Would a pair of simple traction bars be the cure for this?  I have no issues at all http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/0251688a-0f8b-47f8-9e2b-05d5.jpgwith the suspension otherwise, Thanks, JEFF.....

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
Joe-JDC
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 4 minutes ago
How old are the shocks?  With those leaf springs, you might add clamps around the top two or three at the front and rear to help with spring wrap-up.  Yes, traction bars will help if the shocks are good.  Joe-JDC

JDC
charliemccraney
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
Get a set of caltracs.  They're on the more expensive end but they work and are the best option for a street vehicle because they allow the suspension to function normally for regular street use.

The front spring hanger may need to be trimmed a little to fit the front bracket of the Caltracs.  I had to do that on my '61.  Accomplished with an angle grinder and Dremel.  If the springs have been on for a while, clean the exposed bolt threads with a Dremel and wire brush attachment and spray with penetrating oil.

Lawrenceville, GA
55blacktie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Carrying a couple hundred pounds over the rear axle should help.
Sandbird
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I've seen an oil soaked rear mount on the transmission get weak and spongy contribute to wheel hop.
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Thanks to all for the good advise.  Traction bars will now be on this winter's to-do list along with new shocks as they are quite old.  Caltrac?? Google turned up a pair said to fit our F100's but the illustration shows the bars on an axle with leaf springs under the axle. (think Mustang)  F100's are opposite, springs on the top side.  A brand called Tough Counter #30695 looks like it may work?  Charlie, do you remember the part number for the bars you installed?  When able, could you post a picture of your arrangement?   Sandbire, my F100 does not utilize a mound at the rear of the trans.  The trans just hangs on the bellhousing/ However, I did fabricate a cross brace from left to right frame rail to not support weight but to stablize/dampen any induced driveline vibrations, for what ever that may be worth. Thanks to all...........
'

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
charliemccraney
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Call them or look on their website.  They have brackets for spring over axle, too.  You measure for the link rods.

Dimension sheet here, https://calvertracing.com/faqs/, toward the middle of the page.

Pictures:

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9fbfbda4-c342-4229-a73d-cfc2.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/530c81fa-59c3-4dcd-9e19-6609.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/ffae6055-fe66-4845-9f22-1b4f.jpg

Lawrenceville, GA
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Ah ha! Now I see how this works on our trucks.   New U bolts installed from the opposite end and a new plate installed on the under side of the axle for the thrust bar. Thanks again everyone...........

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
slumlord444
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

My understanding is that CalTracs are great, but I have ran Traction Masters for many years and they ended my wheel hop issues on my 57 T Bird. Ran a home made set back in the '60s with cheater slicks and launched it at 5500 on the strip with no issues. Am running an old original set now also with no issues. A good set of shocks is a good idea also. If you were doing serious drag racing with big slicks the CalTracs would probably be a better choice. 
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

No srious drag racing here, I'm not an agressive driver or one to abuse my vehicles.  But, a little street fire is something I miss.  This is the only vehicle I've had that produces wheel hop.  Just trying to learn the causes and then find the right solution.  After viewing Charlies pics, I'm impressed with the Caltracs because that setup looks like it will not hinder natrural axle movement (axle up-down and all related to that) when driving on uneven terrain.  I still wonder how this can be with such a tall stack of heavy leaf springs back there.  Besides the shocks, maybe the oversize 30X9.50R15LT tires add to the problem also. 

64F100 57FAIRLANE500

Reading This Topic

Site Meter