Profile Picture

Best Concrete Sealer

Posted By yblock57 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
Howdy, fellas. Looking for some guidance on concrete sealers.

Have a new shop going up and want a clear concrete sealer to protect the fresh floor from stains. Not interested in any paint/color coatings. The finish on this floor is smooth — no broom was used. Moisture barrier was also used before slab was poured, but anything that will add additional moisture seepage is a good thing. Main concern is keeping it looking the best it can for the foreseeable future. Drip pans will be used under all the cars, but the eventual spill will happen along with grease/dirt from working on stuff and want it to be easy to clean up and not leave unsightly stains.

Lots of options out there with wide price ranges. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks in advance.
Kent

Kent — Round Rock, TX
'56 F-100  | '56 Crown Vic  |  '57 Fairlaine 500  |  '57 Thunderbird

dbird
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Not having any real knowledge, but some opinions, I was going to suggest POR 15's garage floor products.  Their rust coating has served me well and their floor stuff might also be good.  However a quick check of their website shows most is sold out.  Still might be worth looking into though, but like I said I have no real knowledge as I haven't yet used it.

Don
yblock57
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)

dbird (10/26/2021)
Not having any real knowledge, but some opinions, I was going to suggest POR 15's garage floor products.  Their rust coating has served me well and their floor stuff might also be good.  However a quick check of their website shows most is sold out.  Still might be worth looking into though, but like I said I have no real knowledge as I haven't yet used it.

Don

Thanks, Don. I'll check it out.

Kent — Round Rock, TX

Gene Purser
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I used a sealer on my shop floor about 5-6 years ago. A sealer soaks into the pours of the concrete and doesn't stay on the surface to stop stains, per the guy I bought mine from. For a few months my floor would bead water, but now it doesn't. The sales guy said it would prevent oil from soaking in, but the floor would still stain. My experience since then is that he was correct. Degreasers will lighten the spots, but they are still there. Mine is a working shop and as much as I would like the "just poured" look, I've given up on that. There is a Garage Journal over on the Jalopy Journal with a lot of discussions on sealers, coatings, etc.
https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/
rladams65
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
You can find ”elastomeric" coatings in clear. Not sure how much space you have to cover, but they come in 5 gallon buckets. There is also stuff call ”seal-krete" that comes in clear.

Robert  
  https://my62mercury.blogspot.com/ 
yblock57
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Appreciate the replies. We settled on a sealer similar to Gene mentioned from Lowes called Diach Hi-Build Ultra. I did join the garage journal. A lot of good info over there. Thanks for everyone's input. Here's the shop;
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/5bcdb1e9-90f2-4899-885c-cb84.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/bf662760-fd94-4074-8419-2c92.jpg

Kent — Round Rock, TX

slumlord444
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Love the building. Unfortunately no place to put it and not in my budget. Curious how the sealer works out. I have a year old 3 car garage I have considered sealing. Not sure if it will be a waste of time and money in the long run. 
yblock57
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

slumlord444 (11/16/2021)
Love the building. Unfortunately no place to put it and not in my budget. Curious how the sealer works out. I have a year old 3 car garage I have considered sealing. Not sure if it will be a waste of time and money in the long run. 

Thanks. Yeah, feel the same way. Wanted to at least try to protect it best we can. All the cars 'ooze class' so they'll have drip pans regardless.

Kent — Round Rock, TX

Reading This Topic

Site Meter