Profile Picture

Rough idle after filling tank

Posted By 312YBlock Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (477 reputation)Supercharged (477 reputation)Supercharged (477 reputation)Supercharged (477 reputation)Supercharged (477 reputation)Supercharged (477 reputation)Supercharged (477 reputation)Supercharged (477 reputation)Supercharged (477 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 hours ago
Yesterday I filled tank, started right up but idle speed normally 500 dropped to around 300 and ran a little bumpy for a few minutes then smoothed out and ran fine. Carburetor temperature when I got home 135 degrees. Any thoughts?

1955 312 T-Bird Warwick, NY
DryLakesRacer
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Different station you’ve never used, filters and what kind, octane, what carb, was the base 135*, do you have a heat crossover? Just asking. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
312YBlock
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (477 reputation)Supercharged (477 reputation)Supercharged (477 reputation)Supercharged (477 reputation)Supercharged (477 reputation)Supercharged (477 reputation)Supercharged (477 reputation)Supercharged (477 reputation)Supercharged (477 reputation)

Same Sunoco station I always use, 91 octane, filter perforated stone type element used on C1 vets, clean. Carb is Summit 600 cfm, 2 years old. .032” Edelbrock heat insulator gasket to manifold. Carb body 135 degrees F. Happened the instant I started it for just a few minutes never happened before. I doubt gas was boiling and pulling bubbles into cylinders and if methanol was high it would have taken at least a few seconds to get into the carb. Anyway it it cleared up and ten fine, just puzzling.

Florida_Phil
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.7K reputation)Supercharged (2.7K reputation)Supercharged (2.7K reputation)Supercharged (2.7K reputation)Supercharged (2.7K reputation)Supercharged (2.7K reputation)Supercharged (2.7K reputation)Supercharged (2.7K reputation)Supercharged (2.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Sounds to me like you stirred up some dirt in your gas tank that got by the filter.  I chased this problem for a long time when I first bought my car.  Pulled the tank and the bottom was coated with fine rust.  I opened the carb and the bowls were covered in the stuff. Installed a new tank, No more problems.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

312YBlock
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Hi Phil, I had that happen also driving from Memphis, Tennessee back to NY several years ago. I had to crank up the idle to bypass the circuit, made that trip on the original tank, big mistake, carburetor float chambers were loaded with fine rust. I replaced the tank. I have an electric choke; I’m thinking it might have engaged part way making the mixture too rich until it opened. The duration of the event was in line with the choke release time.

Florida_Phil
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.7K reputation)Supercharged (2.7K reputation)Supercharged (2.7K reputation)Supercharged (2.7K reputation)Supercharged (2.7K reputation)Supercharged (2.7K reputation)Supercharged (2.7K reputation)Supercharged (2.7K reputation)Supercharged (2.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Weirdest thing that happened to me was last year coming home from a cruise night.  On the way home my car wouldn't idle at all. I kept it running long enough to get it back to the garage by working the throttle.  I have a Holley 1848-1 465 cfm carburetor on my Tbird engine. This is a copy of the original 1957 312 TBird carb. The carb has a hole in the top of the front fuel bowl that is partially covered by linkage. When I removed the front fuel bowl to see what had happened, I discovered a tiny bug have crawled into the hole and was restricting the idle circuit.  The Tbird has an open hood scoop and the hole is outside the breather. I was happy to see it wasn't my gas tank.  If you own one of these old cars, do yourself a favor and check the tank.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

312YBlock
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I believe I figured it out. When I set the mixture screws I remember backing them out quite far to obtain highest vacuum. I believe I made it too rich feeding too much fuel at warm idle causing the stumble.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter