Profile Picture

Blue Thunder eBay vendor

Posted By DANIEL TINDER 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 hours ago
A Calif. BT seller offers to paint manifold for an added $50.  It seems likely they would be experienced in any required prep, etc., and thus maybe worth it (?).  
Just wondering if anyone has dealt with them?  Their descriptions & reviews seem quite positive, though over $700 IS pricey.  While I likely won’t put the manifold into service anytime soon, I worry about future availability (not to mention inflation).  In fact, I may not upgrade to a larger carb. yet, even then, so I wonder if the available conversion spacers work well in reverse (teapot on BT)?

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
Lou
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
If you painted the engine yourself, I would sugest you paint the manafold yourself as to asure a color match.
DANIEL TINDER
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

N/A. I’m sure they have access to the same spray cans.
I’m currently conversing re: high-temp undercoat on the heat riser area.  Apparently, not something they routinely do.

MoonShadow
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
If you aren't in a hurry why not order a Mummert manifold and wait for it? They do out perform the BT.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
55blacktie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Different lots of the same color, even from same manufacturer, can vary slightly. Unless you don't intend to repaint your engine, I wouldn't recommend having someone else paint the intake. Even then, you might be more successful picking the color that most closely matches your engine. Quality-wise, not all brands are equal. Unless you want it to look original, while retaining heat choke, I, too, would consider Mummert's intake. It was considerably cheaper than BT last time I looked.  
slumlord444
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I'd definitely paint it myself. I went with Blue Thunder because I got a deal on one someone here had and because when painted it is difficult to tell that it's not a B intake. The Mummert is not as easy to hide. Performance wise on the street I doubt if you'd notice the difference. If you aren't in a rush and Mummert is cheaper I'd go with Mummert. I have his heads and love them. He has great parts. 
Joe-JDC
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Performance wise, I have ported a couple of dozen of the Mummert and BT manifolds, and out of the box, they flow nearly identical average cfm.  Both can be ported to flow nearly the same amount of air, also.  The newest version of the BT without the slot has the firing order on it, and it is definitely hard to distinguish from a stock iron intake when painted red.  This intake helped make 402hp on my latest Y Block.  Joe-JDChttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/f92a1dca-a5ab-4277-a266-eb57.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b96f5516-66e7-44c2-bb14-1e07.jpg

JDC
PF Arcand
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Daniel: If you can get by without an exhaust deflector,  your chances of keeping paint on the crossover will be better. Unless you really need heat, I'd use Truck intake gaskets, which are available and they have partially restricted crossover heat.  I have them on a  'B" intake, without the exhaust flap & the heat seems to be adequate & the paint stays on so far.  I live in S. West Canada...  And re  $700 for a B.T. intake. That can't be right!.    

Paul
DANIEL TINDER
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks all for the feedback:
M.S.: J.M. built my stroker motor, but I want the heat riser.
55BT: Since parts were painted at long time intervals, I will have to live with any variation of lot shades from the same brand/color. Also, willing to pay more for the OEM look.
SL444: Just too many other irons-in-the-fire these day to bother with saving only 50 bucks (I’m getting the firing order model).
Joe: “without the slot”.  I assume previous models have a non-orig. ‘slot’ to accept elect. distributors?  I will be using OEM or vintage Mallory.
DLR: The eBay seller recommended Dupli-Color.  T-Bird restorers use Seymour.  I coated the riser area on my orig. iron manifold with red hi-temp engine enamel before final color applied.  I also have no butterfly.  Paint still like new after 100K miles.
Paul: I also use the truck gasket.  Might be enough to prevent riser paint damage by itself, but why risk it? Also, will do some more shopping before spending the $700, but if only viable outlet for the latest firing # model, then no choice.

charliemccraney
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 17 minutes ago
The slot is a window cut out in the dividing wall between the two ovals.  This reduces vacuum and hurts low end performance.
If you get one of these older ones, have that filed in.  It makes a big difference.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/90c356d6-9dfe-4e58-bce1-0f99.jpg

Lawrenceville, GA

Reading This Topic

Site Meter