Profile Picture

AFR gauge

Posted By slumlord444 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
I'm looking for a reasonable priced gauge to install on a temporary basis for tuning purposes on a couple of my cars. I see prices all over the spectrum. I am looking for suggestions on something that will work and not brake the bank. Not necessarily the cheapest. 
Tedster
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Make sure specifically it's a "wideband" AFR sensor & setup. That might be why you're seeing such a wide price range, the less expensive O2 sensors aren't (can't) used for engine tuning.
charliemccraney
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 48 minutes ago
It doesn't have to be wide band.  If it's not wide band, it will only really tell you if it is rich, stoich or lean but it won't tell you how rich or lean.  It still provides info that is loads better than nothing in real time.
Wide band will tell you how rich or lean so you can get it more precisely tuned.

If you want to know where it is, get wide band.  if you want to save some money and have it in the ball park, get a standard one.

Lawrenceville, GA
slumlord444
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

I figured out the wide band thing right away. That's what I need. One of my concerns is cost and availability of the O2 sensor. My understanding is that they will eventually fail and need to be replaced. 
Tedster
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Yeah they definitely aren't giving them away. LM-2 by Innovate, seem to recall it has the ability to scan OBD-II codes. So that kind of factored with me, decided the extra cost might be offset some in potential utility on (more) modern cars. The fancier AFR models allow uploading data to a laptop and special software to plot the AFR. Most people tuning a carburetor probably have no need for that. The "gauge" display types should do everything needed, I'd expect.

Have had no issues with the Innovate brand model really, it seems to be very accurate and responsive. There is a little "learning" or calibration routine that takes a few seconds only supposed to be necessary once, that had to be performed again. For most an AFR sensor is a tool only used a few times or temporarily. You're welcome to borrow mine! I looked on that auction site for a while for a good used LM-1 model but eventually became impatient.

I think the sensor itself is a Bosch unit that are readily available for replacement. At least they were, I've no idea these days.
slumlord444
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I'm looking at Innovate and AEM. Both around $160 on Amazon. Reviews on Innovate indicate problems with sensors and suggest going to AEM. Reviews on AEM also indicate sensor problems. Seems odd to me since O2 sensors on my drivers tend to last a long time. My 2003 Dakota is 19 years old with 87,000 miles on the original O2 sensor. I will be using it primarily for carb jetting on my T Bird and 65 Mustang. Will not have it on all the time. Sounds like Tedster hasn't had any issues with Innovate. Looking for 3918 MTX series. Anyone else had any good or bad experience with a particular brand or model?

Reading This Topic

Site Meter