Profile Picture

What's the best source for a group 29NF battery?

Posted By 56_Fairlane 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I need to buy a new battery for my '56 Fairlane. The only place seems to have them available locally is O'reilly's and they're a lot more expensive than your regular car battery. I've seen a listing for them at Interstate and in fact my old one is an Interstate but Costco doesn't carry them. Any suggestions for a reasonably priced source?

~DJ~ AKA "Bleach"
1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan 30K original miles
DryLakesRacer
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I bought my last one at NAPAabout a yr ago bought these tops and a decal on the net. Not sure on the correct side for the posts but you can see which side in the photo. Batteries  have sure gone up in price…http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/67b98285-77b0-4be0-98e8-58f.jpeg

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Florida_Phil
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

See if you have a Batteries Plus store near you.   They may be able to get you one.   The O'reilly's 29NF is listed as a commercial battery.  I have one in my Tbird.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

geo56
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I have been driving my 56 Victoria daily for the last 12 years and originally bought a NAPA commercial battery. If I remember right, it had about a 2 year warranty and didn't last much more than that. I then bought an Interstate 29NF that lasted nearly 5 years. I bought another Interstate that is in use now. . In all fairness to NAPA, the battery they sold me looked like it had been on the shelf for a long  time and I asked why it had such a short warranty. The salesman said," It's a commercial battery." 
312YBlock
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)

I bought one from NAPA also about 3 years ago, I tried to start the car this spring, the starter moaned 3 times and that was it. I found battery acid on the garage floor. In haste I picked up another one but if this one turns out to be a problem I’ll get my next one from Interstate. It’s a truck battery.

1955 312 T-Bird Warwick, NY
paul2748
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
These sources carry that size

NAPA #7280
Duracell SL129NF
Interstate 29NF-VHD
Car Qust 29NF40
I got one from Car Quest - they had to order it but only took one day.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Cliff
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
You can still buy them at Ford (motorcraft) and I paid $90.00 (approx) last yearhttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/ff5150a5-bb8c-4a40-bae2-e729.jpg
Tedster
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Group 29 as a practical matter today is mostly a size or dimensions spec many batteries available now in various group sizes will meet the ampere hour (Or CCA in modern parlance), assuming cost is a concern. The modern group 29 batteries don't look much like the OEM or factory units, so for most people it doesn't matter. If you live somewhere it gets cold some additional CCA might be welcome. So long as the battery will physically fit you'll be in good shape. Generator equipped electrical systems need plenty of reserve minute capacity, CCAs isn't necessarily the only consideration. New Castle used to offer exact reproduction conventional batteries shipped "dry charged", these were excellent. A period correct battery really adds something to a restoration.
57RancheroJim
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Any decent battery today will cost you $150 and lucky if they last 3 years, they aren't made like they use to be. Even my favorite Interstate 29 is made in Mexico. My last one died right at 3 years and being a commercial battery they only have a one year warranty. I went to the Interstate distribution warehouse that is close to me and they didn't have them in stock and didn't know when they would get more, Covid slow down. The guy showed me a group 50 that is the same size as the 29 but more heavy duty so I bought it but it was $200. I just had to make a small trim on the case to get the hold down bolt to clear.
56_Fairlane
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Cliff (8/28/2021)
You can still buy them at Ford (motorcraft) and I paid $90.00 (approx) last yearhttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/ff5150a5-bb8c-4a40-bae2-e729.jpg

This would be the best deal. I've had Motorcraft batteries before and I got many years use from them. I'll have to call around. There aren't many Ford dealers left nearby. If that doesn't work out, then Interstate or then the others down the list.

~DJ~ AKA "Bleach"
1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan 30K original miles

Reading This Topic

Site Meter