Profile Picture

Coolant preference??

Posted By Picachored 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (46 reputation)Normally aspirated (46 reputation)Normally aspirated (46 reputation)Normally aspirated (46 reputation)Normally aspirated (46 reputation)Normally aspirated (46 reputation)Normally aspirated (46 reputation)Normally aspirated (46 reputation)Normally aspirated (46 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Almost ready to fill radiator on my 20 plus year project..55 Country Sedan, 272   Any thoughts on coolant type ??  Also, I should be good with 7# cap if I am running stock ...yes???
Dobie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
The green stuff is all you need since there are no exotic materials in a stock '55 Ford cooling system. I run it in my '55 Merc with original radiator with no issues. A 7 pound cap will be sufficient with a 180 to 190 degree thermostat. It would be good to add a coolant recovery system.
Ted
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
My coolant preference for the older cars that requires an air gap at the top of the radiator liquid level for expansion like our mid Fifties Fords is the ‘green’ Prestone anti-freeze mixed 50/50 with distilled water.  I will avoid the ‘orange’ Dexcool in these same older vehicles as it’s designed for airless coolant systems and that particular coolant tends to cause a quicker deterioration of the internal engine gaskets when air does get into the system.

Ditto on the 7# pressure radiator cap as those early big top radiators tend to have trouble with the soldered seams around their top tanks when higher pressure radiator caps are used.

Other thoughts on this always welcome.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

DryLakesRacer
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

For the first 8 years I had my 56 I kept it 1”
low with the Prestone style green coolant and 7 pound cap. I did drain it one time during that time using the 2 side block drains also.
After I added AC with a newer heater core I raised the cap to 14 and added a coolant recovery. The radiator has been upgraded years ago to a 3 core copper/brass unit. I never bought premix and always used distilled water for mixing. Idling in traffic on a 95* day with the AC on the engine can see 200* and the coolant recovery can fill up. It’s only 1/2 qt. I continue to use the Prestone style green coolant. Good luck.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Picachored
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (46 reputation)Normally aspirated (46 reputation)Normally aspirated (46 reputation)Normally aspirated (46 reputation)Normally aspirated (46 reputation)Normally aspirated (46 reputation)Normally aspirated (46 reputation)Normally aspirated (46 reputation)Normally aspirated (46 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
THANKS for the expert advice, was leaning toward the green stuff...now am sure. Will be using 180 stat and 7# cap, also had considered recovery tank and will for sure now. New to the forum world, hopes this gets back to you.
DANIEL TINDER
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I’ve been running the same 80% Amsoil polypropylene for nearly 10 yrs.  Zero pressure cap (old steel head gasket was leaking into one cylinder….poly coolant acts as sealant).  I just top off evaporation occasionally with distilled water.  System never overheats, but then I have a six-blade clutch fan & a Casco pump.  Go figure.  A new engine might require something different though.  

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
JimNNN
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)

Thanks for this thread and responses. I'm probably only a week or two away from changing the coolant on my ranch wagon. This is a good education.

Question: Some of the places I buy coolant from, like farm equipment stores, don't sell a "classic formula" type of coolant, so I'll buy the "use with any color" type. I'm sure you know what type I'm talking about. I believe it's green in color like the old school coolant, but despite its color, I'm not sure it's the same type of coolant that Ted was talking about. I recently  purchased some of this "any color" green type (not orange) under the Peak brand. Will this be acceptable, or will it have some of the disadvantages that Ted was talking about? On a close to 70 year old engine that's never been rebuilt or taken apart, I'd rather not take any chances.
blocky
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
for what its worth i will put my 2 cents in,,,,,here in australia i run a 10 pound cap ,,no recovery,, standard fan and engine,,,,no anti freeze just green corrosion inhibitor.we don't have the freezing problem luckily 
paul2748
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
The Wal-Mart brand (green stuff) is as good as any in my opinion.  I run that in all my cars.  No rust, never froze.  Change it every four years

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Lord Gaga
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
polyethylene glycol antifreeze is the best

"FREE SAMPLE"

Reading This Topic

Site Meter