Profile Picture

Y Block Header Flanges - any photos of the SBC (gasp!) fabrication?

Posted By Daniel Jessup 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Y Block Header Flanges - any photos of the SBC (gasp!) fabrication?

Author
Question Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Does anyone have any photos or suggestions on modifying SBC headers by cutting off the XXXX flange, separating the two middle tubes, and welding up a Y Block header flange? Particularly interested in what anyone has done for a 55/56 Ford passenger car with standard transmission. I would be in the market for a set of Jardeen's but that may be a rare find right now.

Any leads on quality flanges?

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

Joe-JDC
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
Speedway motors has header flanges available for the Y Block for ~$49.  I have two sets, and found them to be smallish for my requirements, but was able to open up the port sizes quite easily.  They will work well with either a 1 1/2" or 1 5/8" pipe.  I needed a 1 3/4" primary for my dyno headers.   You might try Stan at FPA for a set of headers.  They are not cheap, but they do make good horsepower and torque for the Thunderbird. 

BTW, Jon Kaase used a SBC set of headers that he modified for his EMC Y block build, and if my memory is correct, Ted's dyno headers started life as SBC headers.   Joe-JDC

JDC
Daniel Jessup
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Thanks Joe, from yourself and the two builders you mentioned it surely sounds like I am on the right track here. I will contact Stand and see what he has. I did re-read Ted's article on the dyno results of a variety of headers, but I find that the typical 4 into 1 header for the Y Block and the 55/56 Ford passenger car application do not include many options. 

Thanks again,
Dan

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

miker
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
This info is 10 years old, so something might have changed. I bought the flanges for my roadster from Stan’s Headers in Auburn. At that time he produced them, and I believe he also built the FPA bird headers to their design. They happen to be located between me and my mothers house, so I drive by them a couple times a week. 2 different “Stan’s”

http://www.stans-headers.com/

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
MattsY
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Stainless Headers has 'em in mild steel and stainless.
https://www.stainlessheaders.com/product/ford_y_block_steel_header_flange
Daniel Jessup
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

fellas, Stan with FPA already got back with me and he says he has nothing that will fit.

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

charliemccraney
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 1 hour ago
I've contacted FPA about truck headers several times.  Each time they say not enough interest to produce and they can make a custom set but it is prohibitively expensive, both understandable.  I imagine it would be the same for anything but the T-Bird headers they produce.
It doesn't help with this thread but I also asked if I could buy just the tubes for the T-Bird headers so I could modify as necessary.  They wouldn't do that, either.

What were the Red's Headers that Gary brought to the shootout and handed to Ted for testing?  They are for some passenger car application.

Lawrenceville, GA
Joe-JDC
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
Has anyone actually tried to fit a pair of FPA headers into any other chassis?  I don't see why they would not work in a car.  They are really close to the engine.  It has been a long time since I had a '56 Fairlane, but there can't be a whole lot of difference in those engine bays between the '55-'56-'57 cars and 'birds.  Just a thought.  Joe-JDC

JDC
Daniel Jessup
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

miker (8/11/2021)
This info is 10 years old, so something might have changed. I bought the flanges for my roadster from Stan’s Headers in Auburn. At that time he produced them, and I believe he also built the FPA bird headers to their design. They happen to be located between me and my mothers house, so I drive by them a couple times a week. 2 different “Stan’s”

http://www.stans-headers.com/

looks like $168 a pair for the Flanges... w00t
I will contact him as well though.

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

Lord Gaga
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Charlie,
'56-'58. Beautiful and pricey!!!
 https://reds-headers.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=857&zenid=324bo3hatfjiep3su7ft1sl714

"FREE SAMPLE"

Reading This Topic

Site Meter