Profile Picture

312 HD Connecting Rods Available?

Posted By Daniel Jessup 3 Years Ago
Rated 1 star based on 1 vote.
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Last month when I contacted John Mummert and purchased an adjustable timing set, he stated that he could no longer get the 312 HD Connecting Rods. While I did not get into the details of what has taken place with a manufacturer, I thought I would throw the question out to all of you - is there any company that offers H-beam connecting rods for the 312 off the shelf?

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

suede57ford
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I'm also in the market for upgraded 312 style rods as I have broke so many 312 and the truck style rods and ruined several motors so I never want to use the stock type rods in anything I have anymore. I'm sure some of my rod failures were heavy pistons.   

I may look at offset grinding the crank and using a set of eagle 6.125's in one i'm about to do..  I always plan to have custom pistons made so the the eagle rod might be the best for me.

Pat Fleischman

Daniel Jessup
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Pat, with the cost of getting a set of rods re-worked, adding the ARP hardware, etc, it would be better to just buy a set off the shelf like the Eagle set you mention. In the end you save money I think and end up with a much stronger rod. Just for kicks I found these within 5 minutes - have you ever gone with that size rod journal?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174128458536?hash=item288add6b28:g:WSgAAOSwZBheneZJ

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

Ted
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Daniel Jessup (8/6/2021)
Pat, with the cost of getting a set of rods re-worked, adding the ARP hardware, etc, it would be better to just buy a set off the shelf like the Eagle set you mention. In the end you save money I think and end up with a much stronger rod. Just for kicks I found these within 5 minutes - have you ever gone with that size rod journal?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174128458536?hash=item288add6b28:g:WSgAAOSwZBheneZJ

I run both the 2.000" & 2.100" journals on the Ford Y cranks without issue. When going the 2.000" route I will target for a 1.810" journal width and then narrow the rods accordingly for 0.020" side clearance. The narrower rod bearings are available as an off the shelf item so that part of the process becomes relatively easy.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

peglegrice
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Danny, When John built my engine ( 16-18 ) years ago he went to the 1.88 rod journals, Still has the original bearings after any quarter mile runs and 13,000 street miles. Idles at 65 # cold and 30 # hot with 30 wt oil. Runs close to 70# at 2000 RPM cruise. 
John Mummert
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
We do make a 312 length H- beam rod that take 2.0" buick bearing, stock big end width, no need to widen rod throw and set up for .912" pin.  We mainly use then for making 292 cranks into 312 stroke, We do have short compression ht. pistons for stroking 312 cranks as well.  Early versions of this rod were I- beam and made by the same vendor that made our heavy duty replacement rods (no longer available).
 We just got the new H beams in stock. 

http://ford-y-block.com 

20 miles east of San Diego, 20 miles north of Mexico

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2c0ef4dd-5dd8-408e-ba0d-74f6.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter