Profile Picture

Bonneville Salt condition this year?

Posted By Joe-JDC 3 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 1 hour ago
Just read that the Great Salt Lake in Utah is at a record level low, and was wondering if anyone has heard how the salt condition is for this year's competition?  I know several folks from the Y Block Forum are on their way there, or already there.  Hope the Y's do well this year, and the MEL.  Joe-JDC

JDC
DryLakesRacer
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Landracing.com is where most go for answers. The SCTA-BNI.org is the organization website with updates. A week or so ago it was dry, flat with very few “potato chips”. I talked to a guy Wednesday who wants to run a 250 + modified roadster that there “brown” showing.. which means no salt covering the dirt. If there is some rain it’s no big deal with the exemption of dirt turning to mud. The salt takes the rain pretty good depending on how much. We’ve lost a day or 2 went I ran every year. Tim is planning on being there with his roadster.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Daniel Jessup
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Fellas I was wondering too since I have been talking to him about coming out there. My daughter gets married in several days so the trip could not take place this year (although she visited the salt flats 2 years ago!). Hopefully in 2022 I can make it...

I did find this link concerning conditions.

https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/a0c5ccee-a57e-40cd-b11c-049ece37d91c/downloads/UPDATE%208-5-21.pdf?ver=1628215374094

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

Ted
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
The salt is really good this year. I am out at Bonneville now with Keith Cornell and the Rolling Bones group. The M-E-L powered roadster went 193.336 today. We are having trouble feeding enough fuel to the engine at speed. Had #99 jets in the 1050 cfm carb so we have worked on reducing the air bleeds to fatten up the fuel mixture. The car is now sitting in the staging lanes for an early morning pass tomorrow.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Lord Gaga
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
The M-E-L holed the block! Sad

"FREE SAMPLE"
RB
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Wow   That is a big disappointment...I had high hopes for the MEL.

Any news on Timmy McMaster?
Joe-JDC
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
Ouch!  Hope the car and driver is Ok.  Was wondering how long the MEL would take the abuse.  Build a 370 cubic inch Y Block and go back next year!  Joe-JDC

JDC
Ted
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Joe-JDC (8/8/2021)
Ouch!  Hope the car and driver is Ok.  Was wondering how long the MEL would take the abuse.  Build a 370 cubic inch Y Block and go back next year!  Joe-JDC

The AIR class requires 1972 or earlier production block and heads. The iron heads for the Y are a deterrent in this particular class. Hence the reasoning for using a M-E-L engine as the cylinder head flow is closer to where it needs to be to run in excess of 200 mph.

Once this particular engine is torn down and examined, then maybe it can be determined what chain of events took place to contribute to the connecting rod failure. Right now a rod bolt failure is at the top of the list as the cap is not visible on the rod that failed. More on that once the engine is disassembled and examined much more closely. The oiling system on the M-E-L is a known weakness but We thought We had that taken care of.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter