Profile Picture

Wild Story on a junkyard 292 in an old Ford wrecker...

Posted By Daniel Jessup 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
General Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Just this past week I was in North Carolina for meetings and had the chance to take a day to visit a few of my relatives. I ended up buying a 272 core from my one of my great aunts (my great uncle had passed away a couple years back and had left some parts in the garage - may post some of these later - she lives just outside of Mt. Airy). The ECG block has the ECZ-C heads and hi-ratio rocker arms. I have no idea what the water pump pulley is from - the diameter is way too large.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/1b2f20f6-a73e-4538-b1ff-7ec.jpeg

On the other side of the family I had the chance to see the only grandfather I still have living (he is almost 90, still getting around well, and we attribute that to the Cherokee blood he has in him and eventually gave me!) He has lived on the extended property of his friend's junkyard for almost 40 years. Since his friend died a few years back the junkyard has officially closed but my grandfather is the caretaker so to speak and is allowed to sell any parts that he would like and split the money with the deceased owner's wife. At any rate, he has the run of the place as you would imagine. There are almost not 50s/60s cars and trucks left, and most of what is left is just some late model stuff, a few oddball engines, etc. Most of the yard is pretty grown over and all.

However, he wanted me to run around with the snakes in there and see if I could find anything worthwhile. Would you believe I stumbled upon a late 50's Ford wrecker that the deceased owner used to haul cars in and out of the yard? It was in the middle of trees and brush all grown up around it (and almost through it) but the hood was still intact and wouldn't you know it but a Y block was under the hood! When grandpa caught up to me, he recognized it immediately. "Yeh," he said. "Bobby Simmons had me put this 292 in his wrecker in the early 70's. This thing was a strong engine. I am pretty sure I got it out of an early 60's bus."

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/df426968-1388-4f06-9f6e-f41.jpeg

And of course that got him talking. Tongue I offered grandpa some money for the Y block, telling him I would come back down this winter and pull that engine block out of there. With all of the undergrowth I did not feel like crawling under there to look at the block casting (I know, I know, could it be a C1TE???? :w00tSmile Of course, as grandpa and grandson relationships go he did not want to charge me anything but I told him that he could use the money. I am pretty excited that it looks like I am going to have the opportunity to turn wrenches on a Y block that my grandpa swapped out of a bus into a wrecker and will be looking forward to getting that 292 operational!

Neither engine is locked up. And yes, I am still addicted to y blocks (running or not lol)

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

patm
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (142 reputation)Supercharged (142 reputation)Supercharged (142 reputation)Supercharged (142 reputation)Supercharged (142 reputation)Supercharged (142 reputation)Supercharged (142 reputation)Supercharged (142 reputation)Supercharged (142 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
What a reward!  Keep up the good work.

Pat in AZ
BamaBob
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)

Daniel, showing my ignorance here, but what is the significance of the C1TE 292 block? 
Daniel Jessup
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

A C1TE block should have the forged C1TE crankshaft and the best connecting rods Ford made (the C1TE rods are the same length as the ECZ 312 rods). We will see what turns out later on when I can get back down there this winter.

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

Ted
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Daniel Jessup (7/27/2021)
A C1TE block should have the forged C1TE crankshaft and the best connecting rods Ford made (the C1TE rods are the same length as the ECZ 312 rods). We will see what turns out later on when I can get back down there this winter.

The steel crankshafts were reserved for the HD truck engines. The C1AE blocks simply replaced the B9AE-F blocks but the distinguishing feature of the C1AE blocks would be the reinforced main webbing versus the earlier blocks that did not have that.  1961 car and pickup engines would still have the EBU connecting rods.  The C1AE blocks were a one year casting as they were replaced by the C2AE blocks which cast to the end of 1967.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Daniel Jessup
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

thanks Ted for that correction - in my excitement with the discovery I meant to write C1AE instead of C1TE. We will hope for the best and see what comes of it all.

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

Reading This Topic

Site Meter