Profile Picture

Autistic photographer could use an engine

Posted By MoonShadow 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
I've attached a link to Anthony Schmidt's webpage. He is a very autistic boy with a passion for forced perspective photography. Thanks to the support of his family he has now published a book of his work. Forced perspective is setting up models in front of a building or other feature and taking pictures that make the scene look real (picture below) Considering that the school system determined that they could not educate him he has quite a photographic skill. His attention to detail is very high quality.
Anthony Schmidt Photography is creating Miniature Car Photography | Patreon
Some time back a local hot rodder and fan gifted thirteen year old Anthony with his own 57 Ford.
May be an image of car and outdoors
TThey recently discovered that the Y-Block in it is going south. The car needs a good engine and a rebuild is out of the question. I'm hoping that a Y-Blocker from out near Washington state has an engine that they would donate to this amazing young man. Or any other assistance that would help them. Please contact them directly through the website if you think you can help out. A good running used engine would be fine. Please let me know if you think you can help them out.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Daniel Jessup
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Would love to help out! I know I am quite some distance away but maybe there are some things I could add to the pot and ship on my dime from where I live in Ohio. 

I do not see the link to the website in the first post above - not sure though sometimes there are anomalies with posts and what pictures or links I see. Maybe that's on my end. You can contact me directly through messenger my friend - no problem there.

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

Ted
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
For a link to the site, I found this.
https://anthonyryanschmidt.com/

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Tedster
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Why does the school system think he can't be educated!? Artists are usually pretty screwy politically speaking, but with concentrated effort they can be taught basic skills like everybody else and become productive members of society.
charliemccraney
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Autistic.  Not artistic although many people on the autistic spectrum can be very artistic because of their attention to detail (and geniuses in highly functional cases).

Hopefully the school / education system he is subjected to is competent enough to make that call.  In some cases, it requires specialized education and if they cannot offer that, then they may just say that he cannot be educated and that may or may not actually be the case.

Lawrenceville, GA
MoonShadow
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

He has a strong aversion to noisy situations and being in a classroom would cause him to have what they call meltdowns. What we see on the web site are occasional pictures of him without he noise canceling head sets. He is a very smart young man from an excellent family. Way back we called these people "idiot savants" which was a very cruel thing. They are not idiots they just have neurological defects that cause them great anxiety. There are so many forms of this, too many to list. Since I linked up with Anthony's mom I've become very interested in this disease. A search for Autism on facebook will turn up a lot of links. These families put their own life on hold so raise and support children that will never really grow up to live on their own. The credit due to them is too large to measure. I've had some personal experience with ADD and ADHD which are one of the things on the "spectrum" of Autism so I feel a bit connected to the families. 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/AnthonySchmidtphotography/about

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

Daniel Jessup
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Thanks Chuck and Ted for the links.

Our hearts go out to a fella like this - in my line of work we run into situations like these quite often.

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

PF Arcand
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
... the engine is "going south" is rather a vague determination. Has anyone reasonably qualified looked into it?  What is happening with it?..  And he's 13 yrs old, so who's driving the car?..

Paul
MoonShadow
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

So far his family drives him around. Its not clear at this time if he will ever be able to drive at all. They are not mechanical people but do attend some cruise nights. Anthony has developed into a real car nut. The local car people they see have told him the engine is "going south". I have no way to get a professional opinion perhaps one of our members in the area could contact them and take a look at it. He has even been used by some police departments to identify suspect cars in poor videos. The autism makes him very attentive to detail which is why he can help them and why his pictures are set up so well. The guy that gave him the car was an area car guy but not a Y's guy so they haven't been able to find anyone to help. I think financially a rebuild is out of reach at this time so I was hoping someone nearby could come up with a good running used or lightly used engine. 

Y's guys rule!

PF Arcand
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I'm not there.. but it would seem that looking to keep a vintage vehicle on the road, in their difficult circumstances, isn't really in the cards. Best park or sell the car & get or use a later vehicle for transportation.. 

Paul

Reading This Topic

Site Meter