Profile Picture

White walls

Posted By geo56 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
I got a dose of reality today as I tried to replace a badly cracked set of white wall radial tires on the front of my 56 Victoria that I drive daily.. I tried numerous tire shops across town and found that white walls are nearly obsolete. I bought a set of 3/4 inch Cooper white walls for the rear 2 years ago and at the time Cooper seemed to be one of the few to still offer white walls. Today, even Cooper  didn't offer them. One dealer had one cheap off brand offering that had a rough texture on the sidewall that would have ben hard to keep clean. Nothing else. I might have to try Coker but they are very pricey. I like the new whitewall radial they offer that looks like bias ply. They even have them now with the one inch whitewall that I prefer..I like the look from the mid 60's when guys would run 1 inch whitewalls with gloss black rims. At over $250.00 each , it will be a last resort decision. 
RB
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Check Ebay.. I bought some no name 1.25 inch radial whitewalls from a dealer in Tx.. They have been fine tires  no complaints at all  And they were cheap
62bigwindow
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Try Summit. I got a set of Firestone Deluxe Champions with free shipping for around $800.

Durham Missouri
30 coupe
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I prefer Diamond Back Radials over the Cokers
darrell
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
i just went through what you did.you can still get them but not of the shelf.even walmart can get them.check on line.theres lots of places that can get you a set cheap.
Lou
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

RB can you remember the dealers name, and wil they ship.
slumlord444
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 39 minutes ago
I recently got a nice set of Hankook 14"  radial whitewall tires for my 65 Mustang from Sams. They had to order them but it didn't take long, the price was reasonable and the look and handle well. You will have to check if they can get a size that works for you. I have been running Diamondback on my 57 T Bird for some time now and love them. They are much more expensive than the Hankook though. 
PF Arcand
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
There's  several specialty tire outfits that advertise in major car magazines.. However, because of  the limited markets for items like that, decent quality tires can't be cheap.. Good luck..

Paul
312YBlock
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I will never put tires on my 55 unless they are wide white Diamond Back Radials. If it says Michelin on the sidewall it is a real Michelin tire not a licensed knock off, and the whitewall will never yellow. I drove my 55 T-Bird from New York to Memphis for a CTCI International and then to Springfield, MO for another on DB radials driving on NY route 80 at 2 in the morning alone in the pouring rain, the only tire for me.

1955 312 T-Bird Warwick, NY
DANIEL TINDER
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

312YBlock (7/10/2021)
I will never put tires on my 55 unless they are wide white Diamond Back Radials. If it says Michelin on the sidewall it is a real Michelin tire not a licensed knock off, and the whitewall will never yellow. I drove my 55 T-Bird from New York to Memphis for a CTCI International and then to Springfield, MO for another on DB radials driving on NY route 80 at 2 in the morning alone in the pouring rain, the only tire for me.

I’m under he impression that DB no longer sells reversed Michelins (?).  Waiting to get long-term reviews on their in-house branded models.  I liked the proprietary WW compound (cleans easily), but am leery of small-run/unproven tire brands after multiple Coker failures, when those WWW radials were initially issued.  At least DB now offers the correct sized model that won’t rub the skirts.  I had to trick the skirt latches to clear my DB Michelins.

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA

Reading This Topic

Site Meter