Profile Picture

Local/Regional OD Transmission repair (or WTB replacement)

Posted By Meandean 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Local/Regional OD Transmission repair (or WTB replacement)

Author
General Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
My brother has the 57 Custom that our grandparents purchased new.

Came with the 223 6 cylinder and OD.  He has it redone with a nicely built street 390 but kept the original 3 Speed OD.

I know there are two versions of the OD and I would assume the one in a 6 would NOT be the heavier duty version.

That said, it's been fine for 63 years until this weekend.  Just cruising along at highway speeds and it kicked out - as if he'd pulled the lever.  Then an ugly grinding noise.  Transmission is working fine except no OD, of course.  Doesn't freewheel so combination of sound at end of function, and that factor, seems to rule out electrical issue.

So he's looking for either a semi-local shop familiar with these transmissions for a repair.  Or someone with one for sale.  Probably should go after the heavier duty version but I think he'd settle for a replacement for the one he has if available.  I think the beefier one can be quite a bit pricier but might be worth it in the end.

Located in Iowa near Davenport/Muscatine so Eastern Iowa or Western Illinois would be ideal.

TIA

miker
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Most likely a T86/R10 trans and o/d. Ford used those behind the 292’s, but went to the T85/R11 for the 312. If you’ve kept it alive behind a 390, you’re doing good.

I think Mac’s has has quite a few parts, you might ask over on the Ford Barn. Then rebuild or replace. Yes, the T85/R11 is a bit pricey. I don’t know about 57, but the 55-56 6 cylinder o/d cars used 4:11 and up gears. So with no od it’s going to be a bit busy on the highway.

Edit. I said that wrong. It’s Mac at Van Pelts over on the barn. Not Mac’s parts

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Meandean
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)

Thanks, yes, pretty sure his 57 also runs a differential over 4.00:1  Might also be the 4:11.   And yes, above 50MPH or so it seem like it needs to be shifted again w/o the OD.  (Edit; I know because it used to be my car 45 years ago)
312YBlock
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)

I have a 55 with a 312 and a Borg Warner T-86 OD. I’m very kind to it and it appreciates the TLC. It sounds (no pun intended) as if the OD ran out of oil. A T-85 side loader used in 56/57 T-Birds is a stronger gear box, but behind a 390 you might want to consider converting to a modern T-5 (5 speed) it’s pricey though approx $5,000 for the entire package, but in 5th with a 355 rear end your looking at 2100 RPM at 70 mph and no electrical components to worry about.🚗

1955 312 T-Bird Warwick, NY
RB
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Uhh  I would not put a T-5 behind a 390  . They are likely no stronger than a T-86  A healthy 302 in a Fox body will tear one up.  If you want a 5 speed you are probably looking at a TKO.. Quite a step up in price, or upgrade to a T-85
miker
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
There’s a lot of different T5’s out there, from light weight to pretty heavy. That said, I’ve got a TKO500 behind my F code clone 340 cid Yblock. You know when you pick the crate up it’s way more than the usual T5. As RB points out, this is offset by your lighter wallet.

T85/R11’s came behind 390’s before the 4 speeds. Nice, “period correct” combo for a car in the family for that long.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Lord Gaga
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Don't ever pull the lockout handle unless the trans is in direct drive  with power applied or car is stopped. 

"FREE SAMPLE"
RB
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
IIRC even a world class T-5 is still only rated for 300 ft/lb of torque  The T-85 on the other hand was put behind some torque monsters.. 401 hp 390s   413s 426 wedges. 406s. Stronger that a T-10 for sure.
Meandean
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

He's very married to keeping some sort of 3 speed column shift with OD.   He likes the car to look like "it came that way" even if it's an upgrade.  The 390 was a relatively easy upgrade since the 57 and 58 are basically the same chassis.  And the 58 had the first FE Block.  The hardest piece to source was the clutch linkage, which was a one year (1958) only part, and then only for standard transmission FE engines. 

It was a direct bolt in change - with the addition of a clutch upgrade and heavier front springs.  The 390 is not built up.  Much.  A 4 barrel and some headers.  Maybe some bigger heads from a truck.  I don't remember many details.

So no, T-5 is not an option for him.
55blacktie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Those "bigger heads" probably lowered compression ratio.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter