Profile Picture

T-5 installation in a '55 'Bird

Posted By NoShortcuts 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Several years ago a Forum member walked through his 'How-to' experience of installing a T-5 transmission in his '55 T-Bird to include pictures and modification of the floor tunnel.  The write-up was thorough and well done.  The topic had numerous entries from the Forum member author and some back-and-forth questions and several comments and input from other Forum members.  I think the entry was made in the Technical Section

I've attempted to find the entry in the Forum Archive searching the words 'T-5' and 'Thunderbird T-5 installation' and was able to only go back 5 years with no success.  Could one of our Moderators be able to locate the link for this?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Regards,
Charlie Brown 

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
Ted
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
See if this link takes you to the thread you are thinking of.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic119969-1.aspx

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

55blacktie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I had considered doing the T5 swap in my 55 T-bird but decided to go with a C4 conversion. It's been too long since I had to shift, and I don't think I want to go back. It doesn't sound like the T5 conversion is any easier to do than the C4 conversion. 

The pre-94 5.0 Mustang T5 had a 3.35 1st gear. Depending on rear-axle ratio, some racers actually launched in 2nd gear. As was stated, the World Class T5 had a 2.95 1st. 

The 55 Dana 44 used in Fordomatic T-birds is 3.31 ratio. 

I know what the negatives are for using an aluminum flywheel on the street, but I'm not aware of any advantage. 
NoShortcuts
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Ted.  THANKS for the link.  The info will be of help to an acquaintance in VA who is looking for help on a '55 'Bird.

The MDL (ModernDriveLine) web page links are still active, BUT they've changed the information supplied on the pages displayed.  There are additional pages of T-5 related info on the MDL web site if anyone is looking for it.

Hope this helps someone else, too.   Smile

Charlie

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York

Reading This Topic

Site Meter