Profile Picture

Question on Ceramic coated exhaust manifolds

Posted By 312YBlock 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I’m having 2 new exhaust manifolds ceramic coated after having the flanges trued by a machine shop. I have heard conflicting statements whether to coat the flanges or not. Not coating them would I assume transfer heat to the cylinder head, whereas coating them would put more heat into the manifolds. Any thoughts 🧐

1955 312 T-Bird Warwick, NY
Joe-JDC
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Coat the entire manifold, and when you get them back, just run a flat piece of sandpaper across the face of the flange to remove any bubbles or imperfection, and install them dry against the head.  If you are paranoid about sealing, a very light coat of high temp RTV on the flange to seal any imperfections will work just fine.  Joe-JDC

JDC
312YBlock
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)

Good advice Joe, I agree. With ceramic coating it makes sense to push the heat out, returning a portion to the block would be counter productive 🚗

Ted
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 16 hours ago
I have ceramic coated exhaust manifolds on my ’55 Customline and they are fully coated.  These have been on the car since 1989.  As Joe mentions, just make sure the flanges are flat and smooth.  Install the manifolds without gaskets at the heads but seal the mating surfaces with a very thin coat of high heat (orange) RTV.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

DryLakesRacer
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

What style of coating are you using and Ted what was yours. Ive done Jet Hot many years ago in a shiny silver and my son did his dirt car tube headers in a graphite look six yrs ago at a shop that powder coats and they take a lot of abuse. I painted my stock 57 manifolds with Eastwood cast iron gray exhaust manifold paint with a brush after media blasting and I am surprised how good they look after 5/6 years. Just asking..

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Ted
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 16 hours ago
My coating was done by HPC in Oklahoma City.  I’m thinking Jet Hot is in the same building now.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

312YBlock
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Sorry DLR I haven’t discussed it with the Ceramic shop in detail, I don’t expect to have the manifolds until sometime the week after next. I will ask them for the highest heat resistant coating available, hopefully in a medium grey. I want to sincerely thank you one and all for your thoughts, I truly value your input.

famdoc3
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I ceramic coated my exhaust manifolds 25 years ago and they still look good and reduced under hood temps dramatically. I highly recommend it. Reduced my "T'bird hot foot" also. MIKE

Mike, still lovin his 57 t'bird after 53 years!
312YBlock
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I had the flanges trued and just got the manifolds back from MAC Powder Coating in Lagrangeville, NY. The owner Anthony told me I had two choices for maximum heat resistance, black satin or silver (up to 1800 degrees Fahrenheit). I chose the black, they look great, coated inside and out. He said to use 220 grit sandpaper dry to cleanup the flanges.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter