Profile Picture

What is the best fuel pump for a 1956 T-bird?

Posted By zuburg 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (128 reputation)Supercharged (128 reputation)Supercharged (128 reputation)Supercharged (128 reputation)Supercharged (128 reputation)Supercharged (128 reputation)Supercharged (128 reputation)Supercharged (128 reputation)Supercharged (128 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I see several brands of fuel pumps from various suppliers including the T-bird specialty sources as well as Rock Auto. I have read about problems with Airtex. Which is the best pump? Airtex, Carter, US Motor Works?
Florida_Phil
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Unless you care about originality or wish to keep the vacumn washers, most any FE fuel pump will fit the Y-Block. You can't use the canister pumps as they hit the TBird frame.  I have an FE pump on my modified Tbird 292 and it works great.  I ditched the wipers as I never drive in the rain.  I'll probably go to electric wipers if I need them.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d8b9c48b-2d69-4e86-9671-8f3a.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

cokefirst
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Converting the Thunderbird to electric wipers can be done, but it is a challenge.  I would find a good used AC Thunderbird fuel pump core and buy a rebuild kit and to that route.  The pumps were well made and the only problem with the original pump parts is that they were not compatible with alcohol mix fuels.  Then and Now automotive has the kits or will rebuild your pump.  I am more of a stock guy, but you can go with a single action fuel pump or even go electric.  It depends on how interested you are in having your car look factory stock.
55blacktie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Phil, is that a Carter fuel pump? It looks like the one I bought, but I've yet to install it. I also have electric wipers and manual heater valve to install. 
Florida_Phil
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

It's been awhile since I put my engine together.  I bought my Y-Block fuel pump from Summit.  I believe it's a Carter.  The Summit website allows you to search for parts by engine type and size.  The Y-Block is one of the engines listed.  I don't believe new dual action fuel pumps are available, so you have to find another way to drive your wipers.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

62bigwindow
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
https://partshawk.com/catalog/product/view/id/772313?gclid=CjwKCAjwy42FBhB2EiwAJY0yQpcn7bl9cpUt8eTfT2b5qZ0OnnTe7ay32zzRD-t65DskpVuwEGx0wBoCj78QAvD_BwE
I have had this one on my car 2 years without any issues.

Durham Missouri
Florida_Phil
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Good to see new dual action fuel pumps are still available.  When I bought my current fuel pump, I was looking more for performance than originality. 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter