Profile Picture

285 Horsepower Option

Posted By slumlord444 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
When the 352 came out in the late 60s, cars were getting bigger every year. A 1957 Custom with a hot 312 could outrun a big Galaxy with an early FE on the street. By the time the FE overtook the Y-Block, Ford passenger cars had gain a lot of weight.   My buddy bought a 1961 Galaxie with a 401 HP 390 and a 4 speed. It walked away from my 56 Ford with a 312 3 speed. On the street, weight, tuning, gearing and the driver are more significant than engine internals. 

As our paychecks grew larger, we upgraded to 390s, 406s,427s.  When the Cobra Jet came out, my buddy called me and said he had to have one. He bought a gold '69 formal roof Cobra Torino that turned out to be a drag strip terror.  It was a light notch back car with nothing but an R-Code 428 and a C6.  The first time I rode in it the car barked the tires in 2nd gear drive.   I was driving a six month old1968 Fairlane at the time.  I Immediately traded in my almost new Fairlane for a new 1969 Fastback Torino Cobra.  My fastback Torino had every accessory you could buy, including air conditioning.  We ran both cars in pure stock before my buddy turned his into a winning super stocker.   My 69 Torino could run 14.6s at 100 MPH in drive with the air conditioner connected and the radio blasting.  His light car could almost break into the 13s in pure stock form.  Neither of these cars was modified in any way.  With better drivers, both cars could have cut a half second off their ETs.  

Later I built the fastest street Ford I ever owned.  Long story, but it was a gutted super light 1966 Fairlaine ex drag car with a stroker 427 FE side oiler. The engine was built with all NOS parts I got from Danny Williams of top loader fame.  John Vermeersch helped me with the engine and sold me the stroker pistons. It had tubs with slicks, a top loader four speed and 4.30 gears.  The thing scared the Hell out of me on the street.  Muscle car guys came from all over to run my Fairlane.  I raced the fastest LS6 scrubelle they made and was so far ahead at the end, I waited for it to catch up.

I have always been a Ford guy.  I grew up on a Ford street.   My drive a new Explorer now.  They're all good.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d674ad2b-5414-462f-8959-f57d.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

FORD DEARBORN
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Great experiences, thanks for sharing, I hear you loud and clear..........

64F100 57FAIRLANE500

Reading This Topic

Site Meter