Profile Picture

Needing new bolts for heads and main caps

Posted By one piece at a time 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Glad you found something workable. I had a feeling Cat would be a PITA, especially for anything out of their ordinary. The machinist who rebuilt my heads ordered me a set from McMaster-Carr. The long bolts are a 1/16" short at 4" even but since he took 0.007" off the heads to make 'em flat the 4" bolts will be OK. 
charliemccraney
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
I used a stud set for Mopar, small block, to get the stand off studs for a windage tray.  They are a little longer than the main studs I got from Mummert a long time ago.  Mopar main bolts might work but because of that extra length, you do want to check to ensure that the bolt doesn't bottom out or block off oil passages before proper torque can be applied.

Lawrenceville, GA
one piece at a time
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Well I will have plenty of washers. I didn’t know ARP included the washers with the bolt packages. You don’t need to buy the washer packs I listed before 

Duane
ogasman
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Anybody know what grade the "FT"  bolts are in Ted's picture?

Paul
Ted
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
While Paul contacted me directly regarding what the ‘FT’ designation means in relation to the grade value, I was not able to help.  While the grade five and grade six bolts do have slightly smaller shanks than the grade eight bolts, the ‘FT’ bolts do have the same shank size as the grade eight bolts.  Based on that alone, it’s easy to surmise that the ‘FT’ bolts are grade eight without any additional information or testing to point elsewhere.  Nowhere in my literature is there any reference to what the ‘FT’ bolts are in regards to their grade values.  Any additional information regarding this is welcome.

What is interesting is the recommended torque values for the various grades of bolts.  The 716" grade five and grade six bolts are being pushed well beyond the factory head bolt torque spec recommendations based on the following chart.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e006da00-2ad2-495b-800c-4499.jpg 

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter