Profile Picture

BW T85C OD Info

Posted By cos 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 hours ago
Hello  Looking for source of parts. You probably have guessed cluster and low gear. I rebuild trans (new bearing and counter shaft)  30 years ago and put in a used gears (cluster and low). Trans howls in low gear, I suspect  I used a missed matched set, they looked just like original but there are no part numbers on gears. I haven't driven car much because of this but decided try to fix it (third time).  Have trans on bench, built a fixture to spin. The noise is coming from cluster and low. I didn't notice noise as much in reverse, everthing else worked fine. I know BW had different gear ratios but thought tooth count would be different.  Not going to put it back in (56 TB) until it is quite on bench. Would like to fix if I can find parts but I have a tin top 4speed if I can't. Sorry for long message.  I have reached out Mike M, Vanpelts, TB vendors. Thanks Bill  Oregon
RB
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
This is a long shot, but Al knows everybody in the obsolete parts business..and buys out old parts warehouses
https://www.suehring.com/

Years ago I obtained some T-85 parts from a place called Northwestern auto Supply... They were in Mi. If I recall..
1/8cavman
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (96 reputation)Supercharged (96 reputation)Supercharged (96 reputation)Supercharged (96 reputation)Supercharged (96 reputation)Supercharged (96 reputation)Supercharged (96 reputation)Supercharged (96 reputation)Supercharged (96 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
There is a T85N 57-71 3 speed and overdrive (57-71 truck) on craig's list in Portland Oregon. $ 650.00 . Don't know how far you are from Portland. Have you tried All Trans? Don't know if they are still in business, they were in the Portland area.
KULTULZ
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Try Here - http://www.vanpeltsales.com/

cos
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)

Thanks every one for replies. I found a like new at John store (north west parts) super helpful. Just hopefull it fixes the howling problem. Just cannot figure out what is causinging it  everthing looks good. Will try cluster from John and a new low  gear I already have. John comfirmed my t85c  12b low gear and his  85c 8b is a exact match.  Bill Oregon
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I haven't rebuilt a T85 but rebuilt numerous Ford 3 speed O/D's.  In those transmissions, first speed gear teeth are at an angle which produces thrusting ,mainly in first. I would pay close attention to any thrust washers/spacers that may be used at the forward and aft end of the cluster gear. A shop manual will be very helpful if you don't have one already. Make sure the counter shaft needle bearings are good and complete and assembled with all spacers, if required.  A missing nap ring on a ball bearing can allow stuff to shift forward or aft putting components in misalignment, especially in first.   Hope this helps, JEFF..............

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
cos
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks Jeff   That is one of the first thing I check the first time I had it apart.  Front input shaft bearing new, new counter shaft, checked cluster gear ID for wear, maybe a couple of thousands end play, snap and washer on output shaft. One of problems is no numbers stamped on most gears. Have to rely on tooth count IDs and ODs. The T85s had different ratios but most used different tooth count. Iam lost to explain, the gears that are howling look perfect. I patterned gears with little sucess. At least I have a way to test before putting trans back in (TB are pain). Thank for replies.
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Any chance of posting a pic or 2 with the side cover removed? Just something to show the relationship of first gear on the cluster to the slider.

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
cos
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Hi  Trans is apart now. I may to able to take pictures of clusters  (original vs replacement howler and same for low) but they look the same. The OD Dia of the replacement cluster is .008 larger than original  at low.  OD  of low slider is .010 larger than original.  One from northwest parts will be here next week. Thinking I might put original cluster/low back together and see it it makes noise. I never ran the trans as car was a basket case when bought.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter