Profile Picture

Any Early Bird seat upholstery experts?

Posted By yblock57 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 hours ago
Don’t have a detailed invoice for the leather kit (purchased entire new interior upholstery/carpet/hardware/etc. thru a secondary outlet 13 yrs. ago), but I do remember it wasn’t cheap! I sprung for leather though because my car had new vinyl seat covers when I bought it, and it only took 10 years to wear them out. 
Orig. foam was really shot, and the new seats not only raised driving height slightly, but especially also put me in a decidedly more upright posture.

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
yblock57
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Daniel —
Sounds like you made a good choice with the leather & foam. I'm a little worried new foam would push me too high and make driving more difficult. 6'2" isn't the best fit in an early bird. Hopefully my original foam is reusable. Will have to dive in and find out.

Kent — Round Rock, TX
'56 F-100  | '56 Crown Vic  |  '57 Fairlaine 500  |  '57 Thunderbird

RJ Palmer
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (43 reputation)Normally aspirated (43 reputation)Normally aspirated (43 reputation)Normally aspirated (43 reputation)Normally aspirated (43 reputation)Normally aspirated (43 reputation)Normally aspirated (43 reputation)Normally aspirated (43 reputation)Normally aspirated (43 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
My wife and I covered the seat in our 57 T'bird a few years ago and I think it came out fantastic! We had planned to take it to our local upholstery shop on Cape Cod , Ma but were informed that he was so busy (It's a one man operation) that it would be well into the fall before he could do our car.He said we could do it  if we did 2 things. 1-buy a pancake air compressor and its hose and staple gun (reasonably priced at Harbor Freight) , plus they always have coupons.  2- You must do it 0n a  90+ degree day after letting the covering sit in the hot sun for hours. If you dont do that you will not be able to stretch the material the required amount.We bought most of our supplies from Casco, i.e., upholstery package with tack strips , hog rings, etc.  Took our time on a very hot day in July, did the seat on the first day and the seat back on the second day. I stretched the fabric/vinyl while my wife fired the air staple gun.! The whole operation was pretty sweet and I cant overstate the importance of doing it on a VERY HOT day..  Good luck    RJ Palmer
yblock57
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
RJ Palmer (2/16/2021)
My wife and I covered the seat in our 57 T'bird a few years ago and I think it came out fantastic! We had planned to take it to our local upholstery shop on Cape Cod , Ma but were informed that he was so busy (It's a one man operation) that it would be well into the fall before he could do our car.He said we could do it  if we did 2 things. 1-buy a pancake air compressor and its hose and staple gun (reasonably priced at Harbor Freight) , plus they always have coupons.  2- You must do it 0n a  90+ degree day after letting the covering sit in the hot sun for hours. If you dont do that you will not be able to stretch the material the required amount.We bought most of our supplies from Casco, i.e., upholstery package with tack strips , hog rings, etc.  Took our time on a very hot day in July, did the seat on the first day and the seat back on the second day. I stretched the fabric/vinyl while my wife fired the air staple gun.! The whole operation was pretty sweet and I cant overstate the importance of doing it on a VERY HOT day..  Good luck    RJ Palmer

RJ — Thank you for the tips and insight on the seat. Very helpful and obviously a summer project!

Kent — Round Rock, TX
'56 F-100  | '56 Crown Vic  |  '57 Fairlaine 500  |  '57 Thunderbird

Florida_Phil
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Anyone ever put low back bucket seats in an early TBird?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

55blacktie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Phil, you might try contacting Gil Baumgartner, who put low-back buckets in his 57. He is in his 80s, now, retired, and did not reply to my last email. Someone told me that he might take on a job now and then, but he's pretty selective. If you reach him, I'm sure he will be happy to tell you what seats he used and how they're mounted.
ian57tbird
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
The original foam eventually turns to dust. When moving the seat back forwards and backwards, it was like yellow sand falling out of it.
 I replaced my foam and found it was much more comfortable with better lumbar support. I didn't get a sore back after driving the car like I once did. 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter